Orps flew the fence...

MistysMomma

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 6, 2013
Quinlan, Texas!
Several of my orps flew over the fence and ate some Amdro Lawn Granules 8 days ago. Not one was sick-they seem to be fine. Question - how long should I wait to eat the eggs? Been disposing of them for a week now.:/

So.....I just checked the MSDS sheet for ya. This is a neonicotinoid - toxic to ducks, bees, flying insects. Known to interfere with neurological function in insects.
There is much controversy over this class of insecticides for many reasons - thought to be a contributor to colony collapse disorder in honey bees. Not a huge amount of research has been done on humans, so long term effects are not known. Moratorium on it's use in much of Europe.
So, to answer your question - I would not eat those eggs for 2 weeks. Although the dosage you would get would be small, neonicotinoids are a cumulative poison.
Hope this was helpful, Sue

Thank you, too, "old chick"! Appreciate your input. Hubby suggested waiting the 2 weeks also after reading in one of our chickens books about how it takes 2 weeks for "onions" to pass thru the digestive track of chickens. We will probably wait a couple more weeks before keeping the eggs, just to be safe!! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom