Orps flew the fence...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MistysMomma, Oct 6, 2013.

1. MistysMomma

MistysMomma New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Quinlan, Texas!
    Several of my orps flew over the fence and ate some Amdro Lawn Granules 8 days ago. Not one was sick-they seem to be fine. Question - how long should I wait to eat the eggs? Been disposing of them for a week now.:/

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    So.....I just checked the MSDS sheet for ya. This is a neonicotinoid - toxic to ducks, bees, flying insects. Known to interfere with neurological function in insects.
    There is much controversy over this class of insecticides for many reasons - thought to be a contributor to colony collapse disorder in honey bees. Not a huge amount of research has been done on humans, so long term effects are not known. Moratorium on it's use in much of Europe.
    So, to answer your question - I would not eat those eggs for 2 weeks. Although the dosage you would get would be small, neonicotinoids are a cumulative poison.
    Hope this was helpful, Sue

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wait thirty days.

And welcome to BYC!

4. MistysMomma

MistysMomma New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Quinlan, Texas!
    Thanks, Sue! It was indeed helpful info.

5. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Welcome!

6. MistysMomma

MistysMomma New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Quinlan, Texas!
    Thank you, too, "old chick"! Appreciate your input. Hubby suggested waiting the 2 weeks also after reading in one of our chickens books about how it takes 2 weeks for "onions" to pass thru the digestive track of chickens. We will probably wait a couple more weeks before keeping the eggs, just to be safe!! Thanks again!

7. MistysMomma

MistysMomma New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Quinlan, Texas!
    Thanks for the "Welcome". Been reading posts on this website for months now, and decided to go ahead and join the site!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by