Ostrich Farm

I was actually at a farm several years ago to pick up a couple of Jacob sheep and they had a male and female ostrich that ran with the herd of approx 200 sheep. Granted they have a few hundred acres, but to watch those two birds with the sheep was amazing. They were very obviously aware of the lambs and would stand still as the little ones ran around them, several jumping off the ostriches feet. It was a site to behold for sure. But if anyone tried to mess with lambs those two would spread their wings and extend their necks and it was quite frightening I have to admit. But they were amazing with those babies.

Absolutely.. just a few girls and a buck. Milk and future meat for the kitchen..;)
Yep, that's fine. Although I said keep room but that doesn't really matter. There are going to be different farms because to have maximum ostrich power we need a lot of ostriches and to do that we are going to need a lot of land. So here's a question, where should these farms be? I am thinking 1 farm in maybe 25 states. There definitely has to be 1 in Florida because that's where i happen to live. And I know we can have them here, my dad and my teacher knows some people who have them.

It was a site to behold for sure. But if anyone tried to mess with lambs those two would spread their wings and extend their necks and it was quite frightening I have to admit.
Yeah they are frightening, they also make a loud noise as well. Here is a video I found
And they do this dance too:
You can check those out if you want. They aren't my videos but they still show everything.

Yep, that's fine. Although I said keep room but that doesn't really matter. There are going to be different farms because to have maximum ostrich power we need a lot of ostriches and to do that we are going to need a lot of land. So here's a question, where should these farms be? I am thinking 1 farm in maybe 25 states. There definitely has to be 1 in Florida because that's where i happen to live. And I know we can have them here, my dad and my teacher knows some people who have them.
Hmmmm... Well I'm on a mountain in tn.. but there is a long narrow valley between our mountain range and the ones on the other side of the valley. It's a beautiful valley running north and south with a nice River and many creeks and ponds. We could close off both ends( would take some work) and run a rather large flock that could be watched over from the many bluffs and ridges on the mountains on either side...:pop

Hmmmm... Well I'm on a mountain in tn.. but there is a long narrow valley between our mountain range and the ones on the other side of the valley. It's a beautiful valley running north and south with a nice River and many creeks and ponds. We could close off bother ends( would tale some work) and run a rather large flock that could be watched over from the many bluffs and ridges on the mountains on either side...:pop
Well I don't know, I will have to look into different places where ostriches can be owned and have a lot of land for a reasonable price. But I have a lot of time to do so, so it's not much of a problem.

Yeah they are frightening, they also make a loud noise as well. Here is a video I found
And they do this dance too:
You can check those out if you want. They aren't my videos but they still show everything.
Oh yes... The ones at farm got very loud! We backed way away before they became upset with us..lol
Well I don't know, I will have to look into different places where ostriches can be owned and have a lot of land for a reasonable price. But I have a lot of time to do so, so it's not much of a problem.
I know we can have them here but no idea about what regulations may apply..

Oh yes... The ones at farm got very loud! We backed way away before they became upset with us..lol

I know we can have them here but no idea about what regulations may apply..
Well I will have to research all that, but it shouldn't be a problem. And here's a little ostrich story: One time not too long ago actually, it was like the end of march, I went to Billy's Swamp Safari in the everglades and they have ostriches in a section that you drive through on the swamp buggy and it happens to be the mating season so when we drove through there were nests with eggs and of course an angry male ostrich. Every time we stopped he would get down and do that dance and then the second we would start moving he would get up and chase us making that sound. He did that for about a mile or so until he gave up and watched us drive away.

Well I will have to research all that, but it shouldn't be a problem. And here's a little ostrich story: One time not too long ago actually, it was like the end of march, I went to Billy's Swamp Safari in the everglades and they have ostriches in a section that you drive through on the swamp buggy and it happens to be the mating season so when we drove through there were nests with eggs and of course an angry male ostrich. Every time we stopped he would get down and do that dance and then the second we would start moving he would get up and chase us making that sound. He did that for about a mile or so until he gave up and watched us drive away.
Oh wow... That's neat. I haven't been down that way in many years but I grew up down in Homestead. Hung out in that area of the Everglades in my early teens and down around the keys... I miss the ocean and the swamps....:(

Back
Top Bottom