other birds that don't fly to raise in back yard with pekin ducks

thiek

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 6, 2013
I have 2 pekin ducks. I was wondering what other kind of bird i can raise in the back yard that will not fly and get along with the ducks.

I don't know much about ducks, but I would suggest cochins. They're big heavy birds and they're very sweet tempered. I would like to tell you silkies, but silkies have a high chance of dying if they get in a tub or wherever you keep your water. They just get too wet and can get hypothermia.

I have 2 pekin ducks. I was wondering what other kind of bird i can raise in the back yard that will not fly and get along with the ducks.
When you say birds do you mean just other ducks or other poultry?

My chickens and geese get along with my ducks and most of the time it will work as long as there's plenty of room to stay out of each others way.

Last edited:
I agree with Miss Lydia.
There are many other duck breeds that are non-flying breeds.
Or I would suggest geese if you have adequate space for them. When they are partially feathered, put them with your ducks and let your ducks raise them. That will get them used to the ducks at a young age and they will get along much better than if you raise them separate

I agree with miss lydia too. You can get geese and I also have rouen ducks. They are too big to fly and make great pets. I don't have geese but I'm sure learycow's idea would work great if you want to go that way and get them.
Best Wishes - Hannah

Back
Top Bottom