Other chickens pestering Broody hen

wasauce

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
We are new to broody chickens and are in the process of trying to break our hen out of her broodiness. We haven't had success yet but it has only been about a day.

Is it normal for our other hens to pester and peck at the broody hen?

All of the hens have lived together peacefully for about 7 months. Unlike when integrating new hens the other hens are not constantly harassing our broody hen. As our hen went broody the other hens have been giving her a harder time. We have a total of 11 hens -- and the broody hen is of average size.

She we try to protect the broody hen more? Pull her out of the coop / run and give her some private space?

Thanks!

If you have a cage with a wire bottom, putting her in that for 24 hours or so from my experience breaks them of broodiness. But it doesn't work always from what I have read. (They obviously have food and water in there too.)

I have never seen a broody hen picked on by the other girls other than they try to squeeze in the nest, too.

Since broody hens display changes in behavior the flock regards them as 'different'. Generally the harassment is minimal, and I would not recommend separating her un less they are causing physical damage. Reintroduction after separation can frequently be dicey.

Thanks very much! This is really helpful. The pestering is minimal so I think we don't need to separate.

You could always send her to my house, I've been waiting for a broody
big_smile.png

Or mine, if you're west coast!

Back
Top Bottom