Other options for keeping chicks warm other than using a heat lamp?

Do you pay attention to the temperature under the plate or just its height relative to the chicks? i am worried about my week-olds overheating under the plate.

I know every brooder plate is different, but the brinseas don't get crazy hot (part of why I chose these vs others - too many reviews mention melting or burning) and there isn't a ton of radiant heat coming off of them because that's not really how they work, but the plate itself is warm to uncomfortably warm to the touch - I don't think it could burn me or a chick, but the chicks do have to press themselves against it to get warm, similar to how they would with a hen, so I think the risk of overheating in general is really fairly low, unlike with a heat lamp.

Mine are both set up with a slight incline, to accommodate bigger and smaller chicks since all of my assorted bantams aren't exactly the same in terms of size and height. I've increased the height for the older group as they've grown - the littles are just 3 days old today, so theirs is only raised in the front to make it easier to get under.. most squish towards the back, I found with my older ones as they started to hang out towards the higher side is when I knew to increase the height.

Here's the current view from one of my wyze cameras on the younger group (there are 17 chicks under the brooder plate, most are towards the back) with a polish bantam peeking out for scale. This is the Ecoglow 1200.

IMG_8895.PNG

Last edited:
Many heating pad have automatic shut off after 1 or 2 hours. One either needs to find a version that does not, or defeat it somehow.

Yes it's important to test the pad in advance and make sure it doesn't have an auto shut off. Mine didn't specify (old unit) so I let it run for 48 hours and it did fine.

Hi, I was wondering if there are any other options for keeping chicks warm using something other than a heat lamp? I have been doing some research, and was considering a seedling plant mat? Those say they are waterproof, and they sound like they might work. Or chick heating plates like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018KIPZTE/?tag=backy-20 ?
For those early weeks, the rent-a-coop or Brenea incubator plates are amazing, but expensive. I save that for the youngest of the moment. Buy the largest you can afford.

The birds grow quickly, so I graduate them to a plant heat mat attached to a board on legs. Depending on ambient conditions, I can usually maintain about 75 to 80 degrees under them. I have several at different heights and let the birds choose. For about $10, it's decent insurance. Having any one anything is risky.

At the same time I have two heat lamps and four back up bulbs, on seperate circuits, in place before the first chick hatches. One I keep plugged into those amazing thermostat cubes, that flips on at 32 and off at 45: my apocalyptic backup.
Do you pay attention to the temperature under the plate or just its height relative to the chicks? i am worried about my week-olds overheating under the plate.

Watch the chicks; they will tell you if it is time to raise the plate.

Make sure the plate does not over the entire area, so they can exit is need be.

I just put the plate back in the brooder and feel bad about how much of the space it takes up—the chicks are about 9 days old and have grown so much. I can expand the brooder fairly easily, though. Mine is the Producer’s Pride version and it gets surprisingly hot. When I put the thermometer under the plate it reads 95-96, which worries me. I started trying to order a Brinsea a number of months ago, through TSC, and they took my order, then canceled due to overwhelming demand in my area, and Amazon and the pet retailers have had lengthy shipping delays to my zip code since the very beginning of the coronavirus situation. I have been using a 125-watt heat lamp but hate that the chicks are under such bright light all the time. Would you continue trying to use the plate as is (maybe raise it?) or mount it vertically without legs against the side of the brooder, or switch to something like a standard “soft white” incandescent bulb? I think I have several 60-watts and a 100. My state is on shelter in place orders, so I am supply limited, though I have a red 100-watt reptile bulb coming next week. Thank you!

If the birds are not going under, then just raise the plate. Place legs on random bricks, lumber, patio blocks, wide and heavy enough so they can' knock it over. Putting the plate at a slight angle allows the birds to choose their perfect spot.

Some plates have automatic shut offs on extreme angle changes. Check to see if it stays on before mounting vertically.

bulbs: try it and watch. The birds will tell you if it works.

Back
Top Bottom