OUR 1ST HATCH**set 21 ee/rsl mutt eggs on 25th** on day 14 so far!

bethandjoeync

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Iron Station, NC
We have been tweeking and fine tuning our homemade incubator and I think we just might have it! at first we were having issues with too much of a temp swing with the wiggler, but we put a dimmer switch on the constant bulb and that seems to do the trick! we have a more constant temp now, with less fluctuations and all within the ok range of 99.5*-101.5*. I am taking note of the changes today, throughout the day and how much water needs to be added and all that. so tomorrow I think we will be ready to set some eggs!!!

Last edited:
clap.gif
Oh, how exciting! Good luck!

we candles all of the eggs that we have gotten over the past 3 days and out of all of them, 21 were good for hatching (others were too pourous) so we set them last night around 9pm. but some were still a little cold from being in the coop. the temp finally seemed right around 12 last night and has held at 100.4 to 100.6 at 53% humidity all day long!! I couldn't ask for much better! I don't want to try and turn the dimmer down any because I might juts mess it all up and get too low.
I put in 21 eggs all fertile(hopefully
fl.gif
) from my EE roo (in my avatar pic) and RSL girls. these chickies should look interesting

ANY ONE ELSE WITH ME!!??

so the next time we candle would be on which day??

Last edited:
we seem to be on a good track so far. once we turn the eggs it takes about 5 minutes for things to level out and get back to normal in the bator. if we work together we can turn all 21 in about 30 seconds or so, or if I am by myself, a little under a minute. I love having the bator in the living room, that way I can keep a good eye on it. I am doing my best not to freak out when the temp dipped below 99.5 for a little bit. it's staying pretty regular at 100.4* with 51% humidity. I think I would rather it be a little warmer than cooler, because at least all of them are at or a little above 99.5*. the dimmer is working great! I would recommend it for others who plan on making their own. it helps keep a constant temp once you find the "sweet spot". I will take a pick today to post

here they are! it's about time to turn #2 for the day
day21.jpg

we started out with them just on the grate, but boy are they rolly-polies..so I had to figure something out so turning was quicker and easier. so i cut up a flat and cut the bottoms out and then lay them sideways instead of up and down. it makes thing way easier

You could set them in a regular egg flat and put a block of wood under one side to tip it up, and just move the wood to the other side to tip it the opposite direction for turning. That way all eggs get turned in about 5 seconds.

Quote:
well thank you for the encouragement! I certainly won't expect a perfect hatch, but hopefully I will have a good turn out

we are on day 3 now so I think we will candle them to see how things are going since I don't have to work tonight and won't really have the time after today. still doing my best not to fuss over the eggs too much. it is easier than I thought , though, to keep things levelled out and on track as far as humidity and temp goes. luckily I am home during the day to check it every few hours. speaking of, it's time for turn #2 today! be back later!

you're much welcome.
big_smile.png

usually what you plant is what you harvest, the better the preparation the better the result will be.

wew, you're candling so fast, i think it'll better to do it in about 5-7th day. but that's just fine to do it now.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom