Our babies.. Keep track of our progress here! NEW COOP PICS & BY BREED

steelersfan43

Songster
10 Years
Nov 28, 2009
NE IN
I thought it would be fun to keep you all updated on our progress as we go. We started out last year with our first set of chickens (ten production reds) that my son got for his tenth birthday from my mother-in-law. We had never had chickens before so it was a whole new experience for us. A few months later, we went to a swap meet and added a few more to our flock. Now that we have had some "practice" we are really looking forward to this spring where we will be really starting with a set of 50, (yeah thats right my husband went a little crazy), babies that will be here on the 8th. We have to completely rebuild an old coop on our property that has been used kind of as a storage/junk shed to make room for them. Keep track of our progress and feel free to give us input and ideas. Hope you all enjoy our new "journey" into the craziness of the chicken obsessed
wink.png

Stay tuned..............
pop.gif
pop.gif

:fro

Last edited:
Here is the room that we plan to use as our brooding room. Its also our classroom. This has also been a great project for school learning all about chickens!! This is the area we cleared yesterday to make room for what we decide to keep our baby chickens in.

45090_pic.jpg

Oh in the picture you will also see my husbands anniversary present
wink.png
The incubator he really really wanted!
tongue.png

Ok the chicken corner is ready for the babies!! Now to wait 8 more days....

45090_007.jpg

Here is the bulletin board with chicken info..

45090_corkboard.jpg

And here is the incubator, all set up, just waiting for the day we decide on eggs and are ready to hatch!

45090_incubator.jpg

Thank you. This will also be our first year with 4H. My son is really excited to show some of the bantams we have coming soon. I'm hoping it will be alot of fun
smile.png

Ya better get busy on that coop! They will outgrow those brooders quickly. Be ready for the most dust you have ever seen! Personally, I would never ever have them in the house. I had them in our attached garage ... HAD, being the operative word! Horrible dust and dander!
sickbyc.gif
Especially with 50... WOW ... I had 42 or so, and believe me ... whew, it was nice to move them out!

Don't get me wrong .. I loved every minute of it, but boy did I learn! I now have my brooder outside, in a building with electricity for heat lamps, etc. Really, it was just overwhelming for me .... the dust, that is!

I wish you the best! Have tons of fun, too!
smile.png

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Trust me I cannot wait to get started on that coup
smile.png
I am just waiting for some warmer weather. We do have a window fan that we put in to blow out the dust when we can and it wont make the room too cold for the babies. My husband is insisting six weeks of inside the house so we will see how long it will last with that many before one of us drives the other one nuts
wink.png
Maybe besides keeping everyone posted, I should ask for encouragement so I don't go crazy???
big_smile.png

Quote:
There's no way you can keep 50 chicks inside the house for 6 weeks! I don't think you will have enough room in those brooders for chicks by 6 weeks old, really! My brooder was 8 foot x 6 foot, and they used it well .... They run around and that gives the lowest of the pecking order an opportunity to get to the feed and water. I use 3 or 4 feeding stations, (as well as water) .... so they can all get to it. I don't think you will have room for that, though.

Best wishes to you, yes! DO have fun! I love raising them!

Back
Top Bottom