Our babies.. Keep track of our progress here! NEW COOP PICS & BY BREED

We only have a few days left! Everyone is getting so excited
wee.gif
Today is the day we are going to talk to the post office.
big_smile.png

I had 41 chicks hatch on January 1st. They were in the house for 5 days. It's all I could take. DUST & DANDER GALORE... the ENTIRE HOUSE SMELLED!

Friday they'll be 5 weeks old THEY ARE HUGE and they really make a mess!

I only have 38 now with one wheaten ameraucana roo promised to a fellow BYCer.

I used to brood mine in a bsmt bathroom but last year, broke my ankle, and its too hard to go up and down the stairs a hundred times a day now, so my brooder is in my greatroom dining area. They wont be there for even four weeks. I have a grow out coop that they'll move to at maybe three weeks, depending on weather, but there are only 19 in my bator right now. I think that 50 chicks, if you end up with that many, will be needing out of those troughs at maybe 2 weeks! Best of luck to you! The set up looks good.

Oh how
ya.gif
I'm going to follow your post. This is going to be so much fun
big_smile.png
I got my 1st chickens last spring 26 buff orpingtons, 3 RIR's and 3 assorted bantams... had no clue what I was doing but learned along the way from reading on here. I had them all in the house, each week I had to upgrade their brooder
lau.gif
Yes there was alot of dust and stuff but I just sucked it up with the vacuum cleaner. I loved watching them all the time. I think when they were 1 month -1 1/2 months old we were done with the coop and moved them in it.

We've set it up with the two large ones you see in the photo for now. I have another trough that our chocolate lab uses in the spring/summer to cool off in. We actually used that last year for the chickens we have now. And we also have a large rubbermaid storage bin that we have that we can set up if they get to large and need to be separated. We have extra lamps just in case. It's getting really close now. We went to the post office yesterday and talked with the post master. Since we live in the country and have a very small post office, he actually knows me from going to school with his kids so he was really nice and took all our phone numbers down just in case someone else was there and not him so there would be a note for them to call if they werent sure what to do. I'm sure for the first few weeks it will work out great, but just in case, we plan on setting up a section of the coop that can be completely closed off just for babies, if it gets overwhelming.

I have our plans all drawn up for what we plan on doing to the old coop for you all to see, I just haven't been able to get my scanner to work so I can show you the plans. I also plan on taking some pics of it how it is now so you can see our progress while we remodel. It's going to be a very busy, fun weekend. We also have people coming over for the superbowl, and our two pet rabbits (that we were told were boys) gave us a little present a couple weeks ago, yeah you guessed it 4 babies. So, our house is very exciting now.

We can't wait for our new chickens to get here!! I plan on setting up the heat lamps and feeders Sunday night. Then hopefully get the call Monday morning! It's getting so close!!
big_smile.png

Oh, for the other people that posted about the water getting spilled, we put in cement blocks to set the water containers on last year and that helped with them not spilling them so much. We just cover those up with some of the bedding so they cant fall and get hurt.

As for cleaning, I literally got a truck load of bags of pine shavings a couple days ago so we can keep up with the mess. I know its a lot of babies, but trust me, we're ready to do what we need to do to keep everything clean for our new chicks as well as our children! Thanks for all of you that have been supportive
smile.png
We'll keep you posted!

Oh my gosh!!!! We were getting ready for church, and just got a call!! I'm so suprised because today was suppose to be the hatch day!!
wee.gif
We'll have pics up today!!
ya.gif
I think my husband is more excited about the babies then the superbowl
wink.png
What an exciting day today is going to be.. And all our company for the superbowl will get to see our new fuzzy butts!! Be back later with pics, have to get their things ready and go get the little ones
big_smile.png
yippiechickie.gif

They're here!!

Full size chicks
45090_022.jpg

Bantam chicks
45090_025.jpg

Tell me this isnt the cutest little face you've ever seen!!!
love.gif

45090_fuzzyface.jpg

45090_babychick.jpg

45090_027.jpg

45090_babychick3.jpg

45090_babychick5.jpg

Arent they adorable?!? I'll have more pics up later I'm sure. We had 3 doa
hit.gif
and one little runt that died a little while later. so sad
sad.png
Everyone else is doing great.

Back