Our Basset Hound is Prego

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Spend some time volunteering at a shelter or low-cost animal clinic, you may begin to understand why.

It's not that these dogs aren't $2,000 purebreds. I get equally upset about the irresponsible breeders churning out $2,000 Teacup Poodles. The issue is that the owners have proven themselves irresponsible, these pups are going to be prone to genetic issues, and it is always hard to find lifelong, responsible homes for mixed breed unplanned puppies. There is also no shortage of mixed breed adoptable puppies in the world, so there's no reason to make MORE of them.

Doing a spay/abort can prevent this in the future, help keep the mother dog healthy, and prevent the potential pups from suffering all too common neglect or abandonment.

Quote:
You will be able to sell them.

I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS! You will enjoy your puppies. And they will be adorable.
I love mixed breed dogs, and especially cute puppies. I know you will be able to find homes. I have sold a few litters of mixed puppies. They sell just as well as purebreds.

Last edited:
If you raise them right, you stand to lose a substantial amount of money in the process. Besides the fact that you didn't invest anything in testing for joint problems or PRA or any other things inherently associated with those particular breeds.

The people that accidentally bred my dog's mother had to BOTTLE FEED seven puppies until they could be homed, because the mother dog got hit by a car. They left them all in a kennel outside, twenty four hours a day, seven days a week because they couldn't handle them in their tiny house. Thankfully I got maybe one of the best in the entire litter (the others were crazy vicious from lack of socialization... being locked in a kennel all the time tends to do that to you), the runt, who is for the most part a lazy food moocher. This isn't to say he doesn't have health problems though. He has TERRIBLE feet, they're always red and sore, they get worse in winter, and no matter what we try they always stay stinky and nasty. He jumped off a pile of dirt and blew out his cruciate ligament, and we couldn't afford the $1,000 surgery to have a thirty percent success rate of his knee healing. (I have a torn meniscus, so I understand what he goes through when it flares up on him.) He has a wonderful temperament, but you still have to be wary if strangers come around because he will nip at them if they reach right down immediately. I spend all day with him, and have since he was brought into our house. He protects the ducks and chickens, and the house. He gets to run free with me if I'm outside, but just yesterday he rolled in something and we had to wash him in 20* F weather.

I had a purebred Chocolate Lab, but that doesn't mean she was breeding-worthy. She was the runt for one, she had white spots, and was so hyper we had to resort to keeping her in a kennel, which only made it worse (this is why I'm so against kennels being the dog's "home" now). She was fixed, thank goodness, before we had to give her away.

We had a Black Lab mix who was also hyper, and had to be kept in the kennel with the Chocolate Lab. Things I wish never happened, but did. You have no idea how much it hurts to have your best friends in a kennel. Full of crap. In the snow. Imagine if your puppies are locked to the side of a doghouse for their entire existence? I've seen many a beagle or other hound-type dog (wow, bassets are a hound!) sitting in a barren circle surrounding their house lately. People just don't want to take care of the LIVES that dogs are. They don't want to fulfill the basic necessities that a dog requires. Hounds need a lot of exercise, and need to be on a leash at all times or they'll track something off into the woods somewhere and get shot.

All I'm trying to say is mutts are awesome. Purebred dogs are awesome. Dogs are awesome. But you're probably not in the proper position to bring more uncertainties into the world (not that anyone ever is). I would worry about their health, the mother's health, and any future puppies someone will get out of YOUR puppies, thinking "Oh he/she is so cute I have to breed them and get some money out of them!"

No offense, but I hate it went people put monetary value on a dog with no purpose. I could see an amazing herding dog mutt being an expensive investment, because he's proven. His parents were proven.

But with a dog that does virtually nothing (and I mean this in the best possible way. I'm sure there ARE workings Bassets out there, somewhere. I'm sure there ARE working Dachshunds, if not only to do earth-dog trials) and has so much at stake health-wise, it may be in your best interest to avoid the whole situation.

Would someone please post the prices of a 'proper' breeding here, for all to see?
Even if you charge $300 dollars for a purebred dog, the money you've spent on x-rays, prenatal care, genetic testing, vet visits and conditioning, not to even MENTION puppy-care costs, vaccinations and the best food money can buy for the mother dog and her offspring, is much, MUCH greater than what you get back from selling your puppies.

I know Redyre has posted the costs of breeding her latest girl at least once before.

Phew! I'll get off my soapbox now and let everybody go on with the rest of their life.
old.gif

Here are some links I like on how much it really costs to properly breed a litter:

http://www.yourbabydollyorkie.com/Cost.html
http://www.sheltie.com/kozak1.htm

99% of the time you won't even come close to breaking even. I've gotten to the point where I either don't tell my husband I did something, or I atleast cut the cost in half before I tell him (I'm lucky I handle the finances around here!) Let's take my last litter for example. 6 puppies were whelped, one was born mummified, and another was put down at 7 weeks due to hydrocephalus. That left 4, and one is staying with me as a future show prospect. Out of the other 3, one went to Canada to a show home for $1200, and the other two were placed locally in pet homes for $200 each. So it looks as though I made a whopping $1400 on this litter, but let's first look at the costs.

Pre Breeding:
Examination of dam- $100
Examination of stud- $100 (luckily I own my stud, so I don't have to pay out for a stud fee which could easily add $1000 in costs)

During Pregnancy:
Misc. vet checks for mom- $300
Extra food for mom- $50
Whelping box- $100
Whelping supplies- $150
Vitamins for mom- $50

After whelping:
Vet check for mom and puppies- $200
Milk supplement- $40
First shots/ worming- $200
Second shots/ worming- $200
Third shots/ worming- $200
Extra toys- $50
Extra Food- $50
Extra puppy pads for potty training- $30
Advertising- $250
AKC Litter registration- $50

Just with those numbers that brings it up to a total of $2120. These numbers DO NOT include any genetic tests that are done on the dogs before they are bred which can easily add another $300-$600 per dog. Also c-section are very common in some breeds including mine and they will run about $800-$1000 dollars during business hours, and upwards of $2500 outside of business hours. If you aren't lucky enough to be at home during the day, there will also be lost time at work for caring for your dog. It is very careless to allow your dam to whelp alone. You will lose puppies doing this so you must make sure you are present for the birth, and know how to assist each whelp as it is born. You will also lose hours of sleep. Having a litter of puppies is just like having a newborn in the house. Don't count on sleep! There are so many little misc. costs of raising a litter of puppies that is not included in this list. It's all the little things you don't even realize you are spending money on. You also have to realize that like it or not, it was your choice to breed this litter, and in my mind, that means I am responsible for every dog for the life of that dog. I have a clause in my contract that if any dog cannot be kept for any reason that dog comes back to me, and NEVER goes into a shelter. And I haven't even brought up the emotional costs of all this. All puppies DO NOT survive. Statistically, 30% of all puppies will die before they reach 8 weeks. Can you deal with watching puppies not thrive, and die despite all your efforts? It happens ALL THE TIME! You brought the litter into the world, and if not for that these puppies would have not died. You have to be able to cope with that, and it's not easy! All summed up, breeding will cost you hundreds and thousands of dollars, and it will break your heart at every turn. If you can deal with that in hopes of improving your breed and leaving your mark for future generations, then it's worth it. If you can't deal with it, leave it to people who can! Sorry for the long rant....

I REALLY respect you breeders that go above and beyond..that actually care about the dogs. (like redyre)
smile.png

But i still dont agree that a dog has to be a papered pure breed to be a REALLY good dog. Its just what i keep coming back to..sorry.
smile.png

Quote:
I don't think anyone's saying that, redhen. My mutt is an awesome dog, and all I've ever owned are mutts. However, only truly exceptional dogs 'deserve' to be bred. Being a good pet, or being really smart or really cute or having papers aren't reason enough. And mutts and poorly bred purebreds are far, far, FAR more likely to end up in shelters than a well bred working or purebred dog who was born to someone who planned the litter, knew what they were doing, and knew how to ensure good homes for the puppies they sold.

I love my Marlowe, but I cringe to think of anyone making more dogs like him.

Quote:
I agree,One of our family friend's has to have "the BEST".They bought a couple thousand dollar German Shepard.That thing is 4 years old and looks horrible.I don't know who she bought it from but they must not have been good breeders because this dog has hip problems,underweight and severe food allergies.
If I was in their shoes I would have it put down.

Quote:
Spend some time volunteering at a shelter or low-cost animal clinic, you may begin to understand why.It's not that these dogs aren't $2,000 purebreds. I get equally upset about the irresponsible breeders churning out $2,000 Teacup Poodles. The issue is that the owners have proven themselves irresponsible, these pups are going to be prone to genetic issues, and it is always hard to find lifelong, responsible homes for mixed breed unplanned puppies. There is also no shortage of mixed breed adoptable puppies in the world, so there's no reason to make MORE of them.

Doing a spay/abort can prevent this in the future, help keep the mother dog healthy, and prevent the potential pups from suffering all too common neglect or abandonment.

Edited../Nevermind..
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I think you are missing most peoples points. No one is saying mutts aren't good dogs. I own one of the muttliest mutts you have ever seen. When we adopted him he was emaciated and one day from being put down because NO ONE WANTED HIM! He was found running the streets before the humane society picked him up. Do you think this would have been the same fate of a dog born to a responsible breeder? Not a chance! He is the smartest most loyal dog ever but you better believe he was neutered 2 days after I got him to insure the irresponsible breeding would end with him. He's a great dog and we love him dearly but if I could change things, I would make it so he was never born because who knows what ever happened to his littermates!

Quote:
I don't think anyone's saying that, redhen. My mutt is an awesome dog, and all I've ever owned are mutts. However, only truly exceptional dogs 'deserve' to be bred. Being a good pet, or being really smart or really cute or having papers aren't reason enough. And mutts and poorly bred purebreds are far, far, FAR more likely to end up in shelters than a well bred working or purebred dog who was born to someone who planned the litter, knew what they were doing, and knew how to ensure good homes for the puppies they sold.

I love my Marlowe, but I cringe to think of anyone making more dogs like him.

I say if a mutt has a good temperment..why cant they be bred? My Border Collie mix was the smartest dog..ever. Really..i've never seen anything like it before..
I (of course) got her fixed.. but darn! Her pups would have been some awesome dogs! Again..i honestly think that people will never agree on this subject.. So i agree to disagree with you..
tongue.png

Now my Saint Bernard is pure..(not good/show quality though) is dumb as a stump..really..
gig.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom