Our coop construction (lots of pictures!) Updated 9/26/08-Pg. 4 w/cost

Reinbeau

The Teapot Underground
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
Hanson, MA & Lebanon, Maine
Finally after dreaming about having chickens (and hoping it won't turn into a nightmare!) the coop is going up. I decided to put it sorta down kitty-corner to the garage on a piece of land that we hadn't really been using. Here it is looking from the back of the area towards the garage (that's my neighbor's house, mine is more to the right, the garage is blocking it):

before.jpg

Here it is looking at what will be the front of the coop:

before2.jpg

As you can see, it was quite a mess. Hubby brush hogged it, I moved tons and tons of rocks so he could brush hog it again, here I'm moving the rocks around:

rocks.jpg

The frame of the 10x10' coop. Hubby needed to get things up quickly, we'll be putting in a better foundation soon - right now things are level, and actually pretty secure, but I want it right:

frame.jpg

The platform covered with linoleum:

linoleum.jpg

Two walls are framed, but not up yet, I'll post more pictures as we go along.

Last edited:
Whew! I'm tired just looking at the pics and all the work you've done to get ready.
smile.png
You've picked a really pretty spot for the coop. Don't forget to level a little area for some chairs and a table. You'll want to enjoy the chickens and all your labor when you're through.
That hive isn't active, is it? Here we have some pretty nasty bees at times.
sad.png
The Africanized queens are fully entrenched and can be really a pain.
smile.png
Literally.
big_smile.png

Please post more pics when you have time!

Carla

Settin'_Pretty :

Those cement blocks setting on their sides and not leveled will break.

They might also sink........in winter they might heave from the frost. The coop might also slide off of them. I would re-think things before it gets too far along.​

As I said, those are temporary. He was alone trying to make a level platform, and made do. We've got the blocks we're going to use all around, he's got a jack, I'm going to level them off. We've got to get to Maine, though, the jack is up at the other house.

Carla, yes, the hive is active, and there will be three more tomorrow (we're picking up our packages in the morning). We won't tolerate nasty bees, if we end up with a hot hive then off with her head and we will requeen! They don't tend to hang around when the season is on, they fly in and out and go about their business.

The level area that I'm planning on putting chairs and a table on is right where I was standing to take that picture
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom