Our duck went broody so I gave her chicken eggs!

RedfogsFlock

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Wittmann, AZ
We have a chocolate runner girl that went broody yesterday. First time since we've had her. So I gave her two chicken eggs that are due to hatch tomorrow. She's doing really well with them, but I got to thinking...

What if she decides to take her "new babies" for a swim!?
hu.gif

That was my thought as well. I think her first instinct will be to get them to water.
Maybe you could make sure there is no water deep enough to drown the chicks.
They will probably not be water proof.
smile.png

Maybe someone else can chime in.I have had chickens hatch duck's and turkey's.I Don't personaly think think ducks can raise chicks.They are very messy and chick's need to be pretty dry.I lost 2 baby call ducks putting them in brooder with two 2 week old pekin's once so..Maybe someone else here has had a sucess story to share.

we had a duck mama hatch chicks once, and she only lost one. no drowned or anything, but literally lost. back then we had a little pond thingy that the ducts liked and the chicks just stood at the bank and refused to go in, and eventually the mama gave up and went back to land.

My mom said when she lived at home they had a chicken who hatched duck eggs successfully, but she surely did get frantic when the ducks ran to the pond and hopped right in! She ran back and forth on the pond bank calling them, but they stayed and swam until they were tired, then came back out to their worried mama. I wonder what a severe tongue lashing sounds like in chicken language...
smile.png

Ok so a small tub of water in the coop is working for mama. She cleaned herself in it this morning. It's not very deep, and for now there are rocks in the bottom.

As for a chicken tongue lashing I SURE DON'T WANT ONE!
lau.gif

I wasn't even sure if the eggs will hatch. (duck versus chicken sittin them) I just know that none of hers are fertile, no drake. BUT she has a habit of sittin a nest for a week or so then givin up. That's why I took two eggs out of my incy that are set to hatch today, incentive. I put extras in just in case since last time 3 out of 10 were fertile. This time all ten were fertile.

Thank you laceynoelle, that makes me feel a little better! Not to mention a little more hopeful!

Well today is supposed to be hatch day for the both of us! We'll see!

Back
Top Bottom