Our English Orps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only imagine, Julie. I would've been thrilled to get those two to hatch. Same with Joy. I order eggs from all across the country, and am so happy to get a couple to hatch. I can only imagine what you two went through on your journey to get these English Orps. How lucky are we that we can now get these gorgeous birds right here in the country thanks to y'all. So, yes, if I can get a couple to hatch, I am definitely thrilled!

Have you guys checked the fertile or infertile thread? It's VERY obvious when an egg is fertile. There is just a white dot if it isn't, and if it is fertile, there is a very different bullseye image- you'll see from the pics that it's really no guessing game at all- the yolk will tell if you open it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

I opened 5 of the eggs I got from you, Joy, and I could see in 3 that they were clearly fertile and had signs of cells reproducing- one was the weirdest foamy gross mess I've ever seen. 2 were not fertile, and it was obvious from the fine, teeny pin-prick of a white dot for the blastodisc. It's clear that the heat and handling during shipping had disrupted the fertility of the eggs I opened to the extent that they didn't even get to where the blood rings formed- they quit even before that.

I just wanted to let you ladies know that it is possible if the yolks aren't shredded to see what the blastodisc looks like and whether the egg is fertile.

I took pics if you want to see what I found in the eggs. It's amazing what can happen- FOAMY, I tell you! What do you have to do to a box to get that??

I am like Julie - Hubby and I feel very lucky to have been able to hatch Winston and Clementine....it only took 108 eggs imported from England - and it wasn't cheap. 2/108 - not a great hatch % huh?

Quote:
I know how to tell whether an egg is fertile or not by opening the egg. I thought you meant that you could tell by candling.

So, you opened the eggs after they'd been incubating for how long? And the 2 that were not showing signs of fertility-you're saying that shipping affected fertility-that they were fertile when shipped, but not fertile when you opened them? Just trying to understand...

Quote:
I know how to tell whether an egg is fertile or not by opening the egg. I thought you meant that you could tell by candling.

So, you opened the eggs after they'd been incubating for how long? And the 2 that were not showing signs of fertility-you're saying that shipping affected fertility-that they were fertile when shipped, but not fertile when you opened them? Just trying to understand...

When I cracked them ope, it was after 10 days of incubation. I crack into a glass bowl because after that long in the incubator the yolks are as runny as water and barely hold in their membrane- no way they'd handle being turned if the spot was on the bottom!

The 2 that appeared infertile had a very tiny pinprick of white, where the other 3 had clear signs of development, probably only a day or 2 past the bullseye stage. They likely started to develop during shipping due to the obnoxious heat we had at the time, and the shipping was likely too destructive. The 2 infertile had no sign at all of a ring or shading, so I'm assuming, based on the fertile/infertile thread, that they only contained a female cell.

It happens to the best of hens...I think Joys eggs and birds are just splendid and mean no disrespect at all- it killed me to crack the eggs and give up like that, because I WANT SOME OF HER BABIES!!! I am sooo willing to wait for more.

I can't imagine how she felt after 106 eggs didn't make it- this is just disappointment after 7! Holy fright!

JOY: elevated to the most patient woman that ever lived!

that link and first few photo are exactly what you look for when you open a shipped or not shipped egg to check test fertility
thumbsup.gif
...ive looked at 1000's upon 1000's of eggs over the years includes shipped and none shipped eggs..(gamebirds, chickens etc)

Heres more reference with 1 and 2 days and so on of fertility of eggs..even included what a stressed flocks fertility looks like..mottling of the egg yolk is a disturbance of the vitelline membrane usually caused by stress in the parent hens. Stressors include handling (e.g. for blood sampling), changes in routine and over-mating. Feed containing nicarbazin or mycotoxins can also result in high levels of mottling.

links for those who haven't seen this yet
jumpy.gif

assessing-fertility
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1603/investigating-hatchery-practice-assessing-fertility
egg debris
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/artic...-hatchery-practice-examining-the-hatch-debris
effects-of-nutrition
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1657/investigating-hatchery-practice-effects-of-nutrition

Last edited:
Yep, I sure do know how to tell when an egg is fertile. Seems like we're split over if you can tell if an egg is fertile or infertile after shipping and incubating, so I guess we can all agree to disagree. Thanks for everybody's opinion.

Moving right along - Clementine's egg is still pipped...nothing else going on. I just checked the egg and the chick is moving and peeping and pecking away in there, so I'm just going to watch it carefully. I also have other chicks hatching and all those eggs have pipped...so, hoping to have more fluffly butts shortly !!!
jumpy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom