Our First Batch of Mail Order Chicks!

daddykirbs

Songster
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Here are a couple of videos showing the first moments after getting the chicks. We have one mystery chick... I can't wait to find out what kind she is! well, I hope she is a she.

You've done it now! Life will never be the same. You gotta tell us where you got 'em and what you ordered. One of the most common freebie mystery chicks is an EE (easter egger) and usually a male. We lucked up one year and got an EE hen who lays green eggs.

Maybe you shouldn't hold the yellow ones. We don't want to get too attached.
smile.png

That's funny, but it is also true.

I guess this is a meat and eggs combination. Those broiler chicks are big. I am guessing they are Cornish cross.

You said three Ameraucanas and three Barred Plymouth Rocks, plus a mystery chick. Most likely they gave you a rooster.

That is a big brooder. They have plenty of room to run around in there. And they all seem lively and healthy.

Last edited:
You've done it now! Life will never be the same. You gotta tell us where you got 'em and what you ordered. One of the most common freebie mystery chicks is an EE (easter egger) and usually a male. We lucked up one year and got an EE hen who lays green eggs.

I sure hope it's not a rooster! I don't want to try to figure out what to do with him later.

I ordered these from the Murray McMurray Hatchery. These are 20 Cornish Roasters, 3 Barred Rocks, 3 Araucana and 1 Mystery chick.

...That is a big brooder. They have plenty of room to run around in there...
The brooder is a 6 foot round galvanized stock tank. When I called the hatchery they said that it would be ideal for 20 chicks up to 3 weeks. My egg layers are coming out of it in the next couple of days.

Thanks, ... crazy chicken math is right! I'm all the time coming on this forum to see how much space they need for this and that. Like right now I'm designing the chicken run for these meat birds. The general consensus here, I think, is 10SF per bird for the outside run... but I'm thinking these guys won't be that big until the very end of their 12 week life. Hmmm, how can I maximize my space for them without being too big. I'd like to plan on 30 birds next time, but I'm not sure I want a 300SF run.... yep, crazy chicken math.

Back
Top Bottom