Our first Ducklings!! šŸ˜» šŸ¦†

RainbowVixen

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2020
Onslow County, North Carolina
Iā€™ve read tons off of this site for years and finally Iā€™ve made an account and managed to talk my husband into getting us ducks! They will be our first ā€œfarm-typeā€ animal so Iā€™m a bit nervous, but itā€™s been a dream of mine since I was little and honestly itā€™s a bit unreal as of right now. Theyā€™ll be Buff Ducks. We bought 10 females for shipping out on the 30th, but have decided to buy more and they will likely be males. All from My Pet Chicken.

Does anyone have experience with this particular hatchery? And can you share some pictures of your babies when they first arrived in the mail? Any tips for best survival rate after shipping? Our idea is to separate the males from the females after sexing when older and eventually get to clan breeding them maybe within the next two years. We have a fairly modest set up at the moment, but if we do go through with buying more weā€™ll be expanding on that with a sweeter heater and possibly two connected kiddie pools, or just a pet sitter gate and a faux grass rug. Thanks! šŸ˜øšŸ¦„

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. I love ducks. If you get males, I would start with no more than two for your 10 hens. I love buff ducks. I don't have any now, but in the past I did and they were great ducks. Here's to lots of delicious eggs in 6 months.
I have two buff ducks (one for sure a male the other is still a bit of a mystery for now) and I love them! They are friendly and I recommend them. All ducks are great though, so fun to watch! My personal favorite is when they run, those big feet making those ā€œslap slap slapā€ sounds on the ground and their waddling always makes me laugh :lol:

I have two buff ducks (one for sure a male the other is still a bit of a mystery for now) and I love them! They are friendly and I recommend them. All ducks are great though, so fun to watch! My personal favorite is when they run, those big feet making those ā€œslap slap slapā€ sounds on the ground and their waddling always makes me laugh :lol:
Thatā€™s what got me! And the videos Iā€™ve seen of their little tail feathers wagging are precious. šŸ˜»

As you will find out, you are on an awesome poultry Forum with lots of great information and very knowledgably members who are more then willing to jump in and answer any questions you may have along the way. :)

Back
Top Bottom