Our first egg!!!

Jennie5193

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
South East TN
We've not been in the chicken business very long, since January to be exact. We got 20 chicks hoping to have 10 pullets - well, they're old enough to tell now and we only have FOUR pullets. That means the extra roos go to freezer camp and I still needed to get six more hens. Just so happened I answered an ad on CL about a poor lady that the city is making her give up her chickens because of a city ordinance. She sold me 6 hens (I have no idea of the breed!) yesterday.

My children (ages 5 and 3) have bee *very* excited about having eggs. Every day since we got the day-old chicks, they've been checking the brooder and now the coop for eggs!

Today, one of our "new" hens laid an egg and we gave our five year old the honors of collecting it.
celebrate.gif

He tripped up and dropped it... it got busted before it even got out of the coop.
barnie.gif
lau.gif

Maybe there will be more tomorrow....

It was SO worth seeing the expression on his face when he lifted the egg high above his head and said "MOM, LOOK! AN E...... oops."

I think it is a wonderful experience for both of them that they will remember and treasure for the rest of their lives.
smile.png
(And I'm sure we will get a lot of laughs out of!)

Thanks!

Congratulations on getting your "1st Egg"! It is so Egg-citing! Many of eggs have been dropped at our house (a couple by me too!).

I noticed in your post that you picked up your "new" hens yesterday. Did you quarantine them from the rest of your flock? Many on here have had horrible losses for failing to quarantine birds brought into their existing flock.

Last edited:
Congratulations....we have been know to put eggs in our pockets and forget about them until the next time we put on our coats dig our hands in the pocket and pull out slimy yolk!
smile.png

IT is still thrilling even after 3 years of collecting eggs. WELCOME to the addiction!

Yeah, I'm really new to this... I didn't realize I needed to quarantine them until yesterday.

They *seem* healthy
fl.gif
, but if they're not I guess I'll know soon enough - and I've learned a lesson.
smack.gif

Thanks for the tip, though!

Well, not that it's a good thing ever, if even a few get sick, but it is at least less of a problem if you have a small flock. Yes, it would be horrible to lose them, but done is done.
hmm.png
Chances are they'll all be fine.

I'm sure your family will get lots of milage out of the "first egg" story. I could picture it perfectly as I read... pretty cute.

Last edited:
Quote:
fl.gif
I didn't know this either until joining this site. Hopefully they are infact healthy and you don't have any problems.

Congratulations again on getting your first egg. We have been gathering eggs for almost a year and it is still exciting!
smile.png

How long do you think it'll take before I'll know if they were sick or not?

I wouldn't want to start over, but if I *had* to I know sure know a lot about what not to do! HA!

Back
Top Bottom