Our First Eggs!

diverdale

Chirping
Oct 14, 2019
Garner, NC
My Coop
My Coop
We got our first eggs today! We got our 3 girls in May and were kind of expecting not to get any until Spring. Well, we don't know which one(s) laid them but we had one waiting in the nest box this morning (that we think may have been produced yesterday) and another one when we got home from work. They're pretty small but I wouldn't call them "fairy eggs". We live in NC and it's starting to get chilly. Should we expect more eggs this Winter or is this just a maturing thing and we should, again, set our expectations for Spring? Beth was crazy excited this morning though.

Congratulations on your first eggs! :D It's always so exciting when you see that first egg laying there in the nest. First eggs are always smaller than usual. They get bigger as the hens mature. Egg laying will usually slow down in the winter because it's really cold, and the same thing happens in the summer because of the heat. There might not be many eggs, but who knows? It could happen that they start to lay eggs normally, every day. But if it doesn't happen, then yeah, you should wait until spring. :)

20191203_112030_HDR.jpg
I got 2 Easter Egger chicks on June 7th & one laid her first egg today. It is so eggciting! Congratulations!

Well I didn't think about posting a picture but here it is. My wife was so excited there's nothing for scale but it's a little smaller than a "large" egg from the supermarket.
firstEgg.jpeg

We ended up with 6 this week and had a few for breakfast this morning ... aren't they beautiful???? It's amazing how vibrant the colors are and WOW they were delicious!

eggsCooking.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom