Our latest Endurance Ride

justduckie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
I wanted to post a picture of me and my mare, Stormie, from our latest endurance ride. It was in Sturgis, SD (a week before the motorcycles all come in) at Ft. Meade. I must say, it was by far the toughest ride we've done so far this year. She and I have 160 competition miles this summer and are hoping to get 300 miles before our season is over.

For a fat ol' lady, I'm having a blast and suprising myself. I never dreamt at 47 I would learn how to ride and then go on 25 mile runs. This weekend was the first time my mare had done two 25 mile days in a row, though I had done two 30 milers over the 4th of July on her one day and then on my older gelding the next. She is one tired baby today! And my body hurts.....all over.
tongue.png

Riding thru the wildflowers on Saturday.

Stormieandmeflowers.jpg

Waving at the photographer on Sunday.

waving.jpg

That's wonderful!...for an old lady...ha ha.

I kid.

Pretty flowers, pretty horse, pretty lady...

looks like fun.

my 6 yr. old dd is in pony camp right now...she's havig a blast.

me,
g

You know i have to say that you inspire me and i really am encouraged by you!!!!!!! Ok wipe away my tears now....
hit.gif

I have been thinking of starting to ride again and even have thought about endurance riding. However i just thought it was a lost dream. I'm 37 and over weight....(much more than you weigh) and just didn't think it was possible to even start now.

Seeing you makes me realize that i can do this.

Thanks so much for posting!!!!!

Quote:
2 years ago, I weighed a 100 lbs more than I do now. I had lap band surgery, stuck with the program and got down to my current weight. One of my goals was to ride the horses that we've had for years......my kids had always ridden them. When I had my surgery, I decided that life was too short and I was going to start enjoying myself and push my boundaries.

So I started to ride. AND I got chickens to raise, quit my job and took a much less stressful one and decided that life really is good!

My next ride is in Laramie, WY on Aug. 9 and 10. Stormie and I will do another 2 day of 25 miles. And hopefully complete both days.

Because to finish is to win!

Glad to see someone else does distance! I do competitive trail with my horses and I LOVE it!!!

I'm a little older now with a child at home, so I only do 25 mile rides. But when I was 19-20, the farthest I rode was 70 miles.

My student and I are doing Day 1 of Shore-to-Shore (LAke Huron to Lake Michigan across Michigan). We're only doing 25, but we're looking forward to it.

Keep riding,

Happy trails,

Back
Top Bottom