Our Lexie Passed On At 2 A.M.

hugs.gif
sad.png
So sorry.

Cyn, forgot to ask...Did she have any offspring? If not, it may be a good thing, you know? Same thing happened with a line I had but the new lines aren't showing it as of yet. Mysterious disease for sure.

Loveya. suebee

Quote:
Yes, she did. Some people had pullets from her. One lost a daughter of hers recently who was just 6 months younger than Lexie herself. helmstead had a couple of hens out of Lexie, but sold them when she moved from GA to IN, but they were healthy while she had them, as far as I know. I have only gotten roosters from Lexie myself. Zane is still alive and thriving, my crippled rooster (crippled from an injury at about 19 wks old), who is now approaching 4 years old and healthy as a horse other than his bum leg, but then, no reproductive issues to deal with.

Zane has one daughter, Panda, whose mother is my blue Ameraucana, Charlotte, the last hen I lost before Lexie (not egg related). Panda has never had any problems. She has had breaks for molts, raised chicks once, and is approaching three years old now. So far so good with Panda. Since Charlotte was breeder stock and Zane was not direct hatchery stock *not sure that makes a diff with the sire*, Panda shouldn't be at high risk.

I have lost one hen who was not direct hatchery stock to internal laying, my Olivia. Her mother was a McMurray hatchery BR. I think you'd have to get a couple generations away from there to really start getting away from the propensity to this awful malfunction, but I don't believe it's by any means only limited to hatchery stock. I just think the most common hatchery layer breeds are the most prone to it.

I have 2 barred rocks Zoe and Zelda they are the diva's of my flock. I have also fallen in love with BARand my flock will never be without them ever. I hope that mine do not go through this awful problem. I made sure to give all the girls the whole winter off no extra lighting it was hard with no eggs but I am hoping that giving them a break will help prevent this problem. I am sorry for the loss of you Lexie.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom