Our LGDs killed a hen this morning.

"We thought LGDs instinctively are protective. "

This isn't quite how it works. They are but you don't have experienced LGDs, you have 12 week old puppies that need a lot of training before they're ready to protect. They're like children. You've set carnivorous children with sharp teeth out with your chickens and expected them not to kill them. They're going to eat your chickens AND run from danger because they're not even past the age where they need to be protected themselves yet.

You're going to need to take some dramatic steps to change your perspective on LGDs for this to be successful. Your dogs are going to need to be trained - and trained well!- for at least until they are several months old before you can just set them out. Many people don't set out their dogs until two years old. If your dogs encounter a real predator at this age, even something as small as a very large and angry raccoon, they could easily be so traumatized that they just run from predators in the future forever. They need to have a steady mind and a lot of confidence for their job. This is a long-term commitment with a lot of work and research involved. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Sometimes they will do that if they’re trying to impress another dog. One time, my older livestock guardian dog who had been doing a great job for years killed a guinea when another dog came over.

2 dogs are generally better for wearing each other out, I'd keep them both and work on training maybe separately.

I have them penned up for now - am worried about what to do. How old is yours. Did you train him"
Mine was raised in with mini horses as a puppy. When I bought him he wasn't reintroduced to other livestock till he was a year old and was free to be with horses.
Two puppies team up and get into trouble quickly. My Maremma is a male and neutered. He is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom