Our Mixed Flock Journey!

Another not chicken related project! We stopped by our daughter's place on our way home this weekend and I got a video of the sand art picture I made for her last year. My son in law called me year before last and asked if I thought I could make something like this for her birthday...I told him I had no idea if I could, but I'd try. There is not a whole lot of information out there on doing this. I started out with an 8"x11" size and bought all kinds of different sand from Amazon, it took a lot of trial and error until I finally got the right combination...you need different grades to make it fall in layers. The glass is 24" round and mounted to a lazy susan component, so it can be turned, I can't remember how wide the frame is, 3-4"! I want to make one for myself one day. They keep telling me that I should sell them, they are super expensive to buy, but I would need my husband to join in to make the frames, but he's not really that interested in doing that!

Wow! Clever you. I gave a sand art picture to a friend for Christmas (but I just bought mine on Amazon) - she says it is super soothing to watch as she falls asleep at night.

Wow! Clever you. I gave a sand art picture to a friend for Christmas (but I just bought mine on Amazon) - she says it is super soothing to watch as she falls asleep at night.
Thank you! What a great gift for your friend. They are so relaxing! My daughter just bought one off of Amazon for her husband to have at work...I guess she didn't ask me because we're so busy with the remodel. After we're finished, I might see if I can redo the one that I made as I was figuring out how to create this one...it's a rectangle, so I will have to flip it instead of spinning it! I need to dump the sand out that's in it, because it has some black that I added in and didn't like the look of.

Today's project was new drawer fronts. We were not happy with how the old drawers turned out using the gel stain, so we went to town yesterday and bought some new oak. Dale cut them and routed them last night. This morning he sanded the sections that could be done with a palm sander and then I did some of the detail sanding and stained them. These are going to look so much nicer. The grain wasn't that great in the original drawer fronts, so the gel stain hid it.
This is my favorite one. Before & after!
20210224_192641.jpg
20210224_192120.jpg

20210224_192612.jpg

Today's project was new drawer fronts. We were not happy with how the old drawers turned out using the gel stain, so we went to town yesterday and bought some new oak. Dale cut them and routed them last night. This morning he sanded the sections that could be done with a palm sander and then I did some of the detail sanding and stained them. These are going to look so much nicer. The grain wasn't that great in the original drawer fronts, so the gel stain hid it.
View attachment 2544242View attachment 2544244
View attachment 2544247

Very nice!

I went out tonight to check on the flock and make sure they were all where they should be...everyone present and accounted for + 1 more...I also needed to grab the rest of the eggs as two of my girls were in the nesting boxes when I brought eggs in earlier and low and behold, but what should appear a very small mouse...it hopped up on the edge of the nesting box and stared at me for a moment...didn't seem to be too afraid...I reached out and made it jump out...it disappeared toward the garden. Wish I could have gotten a picture of it! I'm going to have to try and route them out!

Another not chicken related project! We stopped by our daughter's place on our way home this weekend and I got a video of the sand art picture I made for her last year. My son in law called me year before last and asked if I thought I could make something like this for her birthday...I told him I had no idea if I could, but I'd try. There is not a whole lot of information out there on doing this. I started out with an 8"x11" size and bought all kinds of different sand from Amazon, it took a lot of trial and error until I finally got the right combination...you need different grades to make it fall in layers. The glass is 24" round and mounted to a lazy susan component, so it can be turned, I can't remember how wide the frame is, 3-4"! I want to make one for myself one day. They keep telling me that I should sell them, they are super expensive to buy, but I would need my husband to join in to make the frames, but he's not really that interested in doing that!

That is amazing! You could sell them! Very cool. :thumbsup

View attachment 2544242View attachment 2544244
View attachment 2544247
Outstanding! I love them.

Back
Top Bottom