Our Mixed Flock Journey!

Yes it was. But we're on an upward temp swing now! My flock has the option of going out or staying in the coop, but they don't care for that cold wind any more than I do so they pretty much hunker down inside.

Hope you're feeling better soon Rene!

Stay safe!
Thank you Debby! I'm feeling much better today!

Thanks! We duck hunt 😉.... and the storm has moved back west some so it will be closer to us... they say it’ll be a Cat 2! I am interested to see how this goes... never stayed for a two that I can remember and I didn’t want to leave my animals... my poor kitties would be too scared! But we are still on the west side of the storm so it won’t be quite as bad for us as it could be.. but nevertheless 😳 ... we have giant trees!
I’ll keep yall posted as things develop... until we lose power!
We hunt waterfowl & upland birds...not as much as we used to though!
Praying for your safety and looking forward to updates. :hugs

I believe a lot of people went into chicken keeping for this same reason. I actually like it that people are thinking about how to be more self-sufficient. It’s scary to think that millions of people would starve to death if grocery stores ever crashed, or if food delivery ever stopped for whatever reason.
I believe that's exactly what's going on!

You can freeze egg whites on their own or you can freeze whole eggs but you need to whisk the yolk and the white together. The yolk changes texture when it is frozen - but if whisked together first they should be fine for omlets, baking, scrambled eggs etc. I freeze some for baking - most of my recipes call for 4 eggs so I freeze 4 whisked together.
Thank you RC! Well, I'll be eating at least a few that haven't been whisked...lol! Thank you for the information on this! I will probably be putting a bunch more in the freezer tomorrow! Then I need to get brave & try the hydrated lime method!

I believe a lot of people went into chicken keeping for this same reason. I actually like it that people are thinking about how to be more self-sufficient. It’s scary to think that millions of people would starve to death if grocery stores ever crashed, or if food delivery ever stopped for whatever reason.
Out here you couldn't get vegetable seedlings for love or money either. Along with a chook shortage everyone was putting in a home vegetable patch. The suppliers couldn't keep up.

Thanks! We duck hunt 😉.... and the storm has moved back west some so it will be closer to us... they say it’ll be a Cat 2! I am interested to see how this goes... never stayed for a two that I can remember and I didn’t want to leave my animals... my poor kitties would be too scared! But we are still on the west side of the storm so it won’t be quite as bad for us as it could be.. but nevertheless 😳 ... we have giant trees!
I’ll keep yall posted as things develop... until we lose power!
A 1 or even a 2 is not too bad. I've sat out a 3...just stay safe. :hugs

Out here you couldn't get vegetable seedlings for love or money either. Along with a chook shortage everyone was putting in a home vegetable patch. The suppliers couldn't keep up.
It was the same here, especially if you were trying to find heirloom varieties! As for chickens, they couldn't keep up with the demand for them either!

Back
Top Bottom