Our Mixed Flock Journey!

That's a bit early in the year for us. Was it a bad as forecast? Do you hold your flock indoors when it gets that cold?

Yes it was. But we're on an upward temp swing now! My flock has the option of going out or staying in the coop, but they don't care for that cold wind any more than I do so they pretty much hunker down inside.

I wasn't feeling well today, so I didn't pull any out. I will be in town tomorrow, so I might not get to do anything with the ones I froze until Thursday!

Hope you're feeling better soon Rene!

We are sitting out a string of storms. My broodies have given up for the time being & are back in the main coop. :)

Stay safe!

I'm glad that you're doing well & I hope it goes as quickly as predicted! Do you bow hunt or rifle, I'm assuming that you're going after deer?
I really hope that you have a Marcia and Jan!😁
Thanks! We duck hunt 😉.... and the storm has moved back west some so it will be closer to us... they say it’ll be a Cat 2! I am interested to see how this goes... never stayed for a two that I can remember and I didn’t want to leave my animals... my poor kitties would be too scared! But we are still on the west side of the storm so it won’t be quite as bad for us as it could be.. but nevertheless 😳 ... we have giant trees!
I’ll keep yall posted as things develop... until we lose power!

I think a lot of people were of the same mind to prepare in case the economy bottomed out. We decided it was better to be ready, all it took was work & a little expense! Hopefully I will never have to breed them again!
I believe a lot of people went into chicken keeping for this same reason. I actually like it that people are thinking about how to be more self-sufficient. It’s scary to think that millions of people would starve to death if grocery stores ever crashed, or if food delivery ever stopped for whatever reason.

Thanks! We duck hunt 😉.... and the storm has moved back west some so it will be closer to us... they say it’ll be a Cat 2! I am interested to see how this goes... never stayed for a two that I can remember and I didn’t want to leave my animals... my poor kitties would be too scared! But we are still on the west side of the storm so it won’t be quite as bad for us as it could be.. but nevertheless 😳 ... we have giant trees!
Please do. And be smart. :hugs :hugs

Stay safe!

I have 8 dozen, but I have a few more hens than you! I will check the eggs I froze & if I like the result I will freeze more. I also need to get a container to try water glassing!
You can freeze egg whites on their own or you can freeze whole eggs but you need to whisk the yolk and the white together. The yolk changes texture when it is frozen - but if whisked together first they should be fine for omlets, baking, scrambled eggs etc. I freeze some for baking - most of my recipes call for 4 eggs so I freeze 4 whisked together.

Do stay safe.

Thanks yall! I think we’ll be okay... and it’ll probably be a Cat 1 here...
You know how they say animals know about potential danger... I really believe the chickens know something as when I went to let them out this morning only about two came out... that NEVER happens!! Mine do like @Ribh ‘s flock and stampede out... as do I’m sure most chickens!! They all stayed in! It was very strange for sure! So I wonder 🤔 .... they are locked up tight now though!

Thanks yall! I think we’ll be okay... and it’ll probably be a Cat 1 here...
You know how they say animals know about potential danger... I really believe the chickens know something as when I went to let them out this morning only about two came out... that NEVER happens!! Mine do like @Ribh ‘s flock and stampede out... as do I’m sure most chickens!! They all stayed in! It was very strange for sure! So I wonder 🤔 .... they are locked up tight now though!
Please give us updates. I need to know you are safe. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom