Our New Coop: Motel 6, Delivery Day AT LAST YEAH !!!

Wow! That is a gorgeous coop! That would be a dream come true for me.
big_smile.png

From our experience (with our current coop) we'll have the run door on the new coop open all the time.

This is our old coop, the run door is on the underside of the upstairs
PC140099.jpg

We will likely only have 6-10 bantam cochins in the new coop (what a life huh ??). As you saw the new coop also has a window in the door and an upper window next to the door. In good weather we'll have the door window open all the time and get cross ventilation thru the run door. What you don't see yet (check back Thursday night) is the 12ft by 6ft by 6ft run... Our babies (10 1/2 weeks old) will be in their run a few weeks to get used to the outside world, then they get to free range on our acre of wooded last (refer to photo of old coop). We rarely have much clean up to do as they're outside so much.

This ventilation issue is like insulation vs none, or hardware cloth versus welded wire: some folks are real zealous about it. In some climates and humidities people need LOTS of ventilation. Others find where they are a little goes a long way. We get lots of wind where we are, lLOTS - and lots of sun. From our experience with our first coop having a run door open is all we needed. Having the cross ventilation from one of the front windows will really do the trick.

Last edited:
Well Delivery Day finally got here. The guys left Long Island New York and trekked over to Jackson New Jersey starting about 6:30 am. A long haul indeed. The truck and 18 ft. trailer hauled the coop and run and a van full of helpers and family arrived here about 9:30... I had a big pan of cornbread and a huge potato, italian sausage and red bell pepper fritatta waiting for everyone and the wives and kids chowed down.

P4020524.jpg

P4020538.jpg

No fooling, these guys really know their stuff and wasted no time getting it unloaded and placed right where we wanted it.

P4020511.jpg

Using 4 inch diameter PVC pipe to turn it and position it exactly they got it into place, then level the ground and hoisted first the front, and then the back onto concrete blocks.

P4020513.jpg

Then they unloaded the run, leveled the ground it was going onto and shored up areas that needed it and attached it to the coop.

P4020519.jpg

The run itself weighs about 500 lbs, they used welded wire for the screening (that will be upgraded on the bottom half of the run on the outside to hardware cloth once I get the run frame all varnished out (clear with an amber tint)

P4020548.jpg

My wife Nan and Taylor brought the babies out for their first day in the coop - we had glorious sunny weather and the babies took a little while getting used to it - we hung out in the run and eventually they started coming down into the run one by one. We laid down a bunch of mulch, starter feed and wild bird seed for them and in no time they were partying and scratching on the ground like crazy.

P4020534.jpg

P4020540.jpg

I took the big kids inside and taught them how to make linguine in a fresh sausage and tomato sauce, we toasted up a couple of big rustic loaves of bread and then everyone stopped to eat. Well, some of the men kept working because for them they couldn't relax until it was all just right. We ran power out to the coop, tested the motion sensors and inside lighting and then took lunch too.

After lunch we worked out all the little kinks and watched the babies playing and horsing around. It got a little cloudy and the babies decided it was time to go in for a bit (they were so wiped out from all the excitement but still wanted to cavort, LOL).

P4020545.jpg

Eventually the guys got it all like they wanted it, we paid them and sadly said our goodbyes. These are real decent people that really know what they are doing, if anyone is interested in contacting them PM me here...

Michael and Nan

Last edited:
Wow! That looks fantastic, and what a great place for your chickens! Thanks for sharing all the photos.

This is lovely.

We're getting ready to build a coop, also live in an area where things have to look pretty nice to keep the neighbors happy. My husband is planning to use cedar but I like the look of the pine!

Wow it is wonderful, they do very good work and your design is great as well. You must have some very happy chooks!!!!! I have a lot of work ahead if I want tro catch up, dont want your chickens bragging to mine and me getting complaints
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom