Our potential new coop, suggestions, and advice

On the moving part ... if I was in the situation I believe you're in I don't know if I wouldn't buy some round post , jack up one end of the building and slide the post under to make a roller to push it on . Once you get 3 or 4 post under it could be able to roll it around with just a few people ! Can always use the post for your run afterwards .

Just a thought but my disclaimer is I did go to the James Johann school of engineering !

my thoughts on moving is that if you plan on taking some apart I would make sure everything way cross braced. And If it was me Id move it first. then rehab but then again I own a tractor. but back when I didn't have it I would have strapped or chained it to a truck and drag it. Granted the skids are solid. Or installs skids and move it.

Scott

Been a little while since I updated this thread. I started demo work on our coop. The roof is coming off next, it's pretty much shot, and so are a couple of the trusses. The floors have gotten pretty bad, and after being able to see a little more, I'm not sure the joist or whatever it's sitting on is even salvageable. So our decision is to make a 10'x6' coop, and 10'x10' run out of the framing. The run we will be using all hardware cloth on, including the top, and won't be putting the trusses back on that side obviously. The coop will get new walls, flooring, roof with asphalt shingles, door, and possibly something new to sit it on. We figured all supplies, and we will be around $400 into it. Might sound expensive, but we've looked at what you can buy in that price range, and it's all tiny or junk. You would have to spend well over $1000 just to get something close, so I think we will be happy with the result.

Off topic, but these are a couple of our girls, two Buff's, we also have a Black Sexlink, and plan on getting about 7 more girls when the coop is finished, or closer to being finished.

You are doing fantastic! That is a lot of work to get it to that point!

The price you are looking at is not so bad either.
I know what mine cost and you are not spending much at all.

I have to agree those lil gals are cute.

Working on getting the roof off, and trusses today. Snapped a couple of pics, because you can really see how it will kind of look in these pics. If you were to minus the truss on the front there, and imagine the part that still has roof left would be the coop, that's kind of what our final plans look like. Getting close though, one more phase of demo after this, and we will be putting it all back together again, renovated of course.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom