Our potential new coop, suggestions, and advice

Welcome to BYC!

If the framing is all OK.....I'd raise it up a couple feet and put a new roof with large overhangs.

What is your climate/location?

I built my coop inside a large shed, check out My Coop page.

Yeah, it definitely needs better overhangs, I think that is one reason the sides are so bad anyway, from rain pounding against it. I live in South Carolina, so we stay pretty warm here, we do have the occasional cold spells, but overall we have pretty short winters. Our summers are more concerning than winters to me. We have plenty of 90+ degree days with 100% humidity here. Another reason that I would like to move the building to a better location.

Yeah, it definitely needs better overhangs, I think that is one reason the sides are so bad anyway, from rain pounding against it. I live in South Carolina, so we stay pretty warm here, we do have the occasional cold spells, but overall we have pretty short winters. Our summers are more concerning than winters to me. We have plenty of 90+ degree days with 100% humidity here. Another reason that I would like to move the building to a better location.
Open eaves ventilation will help a lot.
Raising it up n high blocks will give them a cool place of deep shade to beat the heat,
but it's best to be high enough for you to get under there and grab a stubborn bird or eggs if they get laid under there. I extended the run walls under the coop about 4 feet so I don't have to crawl too far.

Also any advice on roofing would be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out the cheapest/best way to redo the roofing. I've looked into polycarbonite panels which would take about 8 on each side of the roof, and give me a foot of overhang on the sides, little less on front and back. That would cost around $300 for the panels and ridge caps. Shingles would cost about $132 for the shingles and roof caps, but not sure if I need an underlayment, or some kind of coating under the shingles too. Plus if I do shingles, I have to replace the roof boards, which I have enough to do it, but it would cut into my sheathing for the walls, and would probably have to buy some more.

On another note, after discussing the amount of chickens we want, the run is definitely going to have to be bigger. The coop size max, based on recommendations, would max out around 20 with the square footage, but the 8'x8' run apparently would be way undersized for anything close to that. We are thinking about having about 12 chickens max(we will see, if I can keep my wife to that), so I think the run is going to be 8'x16' instead.

A few pointers if I may.
Structures are MUCH more stable when the siding is on. I would not try to move it with the siding off.

Roofing...... Things you will need for shingles.....
The decking has water damage. New roof decking, tar paper goes on next then shingles. Proper hardware will be important for the life of the roof. Special nails with a plastic cap for the tar paper and roofing nails for the shingles.

Shingles will hold up way way way better then the palroof sold at the big box stores. Hail will destroy the plastic panels.

Metal roofing may be less expensive BUT you live where it gets SUPER hot.

I would use regular shingles.

OH and depending on how far you are moving it..... Perhaps a tow truck company can get it moved for you.
My hubby drives a tow truck and has done things like this.

I agree, shingles would be the best bet....and moving before tear down begins.

You may not have to change out all the roof sheathing/decking, just where it's rotted, most of it looks ok from underneath.
You won't know for sure until you get the old shingles and tar paper off.
Looks like you may have to replace some rafter material and figure out how to extend the rafters for the over hang on eaves and gables.
I sistered on the existing rafters to extend mine....

.....and for the gables cut a hole in the wall sheathing, 2 existing rafters, and attached rafter extension to existing rafter inside like this:

Shingles seem to be the way to go, thanks for the advice. The only issue with moving it whole, the companies I know of at least, won't touch it, if the building looks to be in too bad of shape. The board that is rotted on the bottom outside, seems to be apart of the base, and the inside wall frame sits on top of it for support, so it looks like if I want to replace it, I will have to take down the walls, or at least that wall, no matter what. Which basically means, I have to take the roofing off, then rafters, then outside walls, and then just take the wall frames down(not completely apart, just basically how you put it up). I will be left with the flooring and joist, which I should be able to move at that point, and repair/replace that side board. It will be a lot more work, of course, but may make other issues easier to deal with. I know one rafter will need to be repaired, where there was a leak. Thanks for the pic of the gables Flock Master, that's a clever idea. I guess I might just have to deal with the fact that it's going to cost me some money, and a lot of time to get this done right, but I will still be coming out cheaper, and have something better than I could have bought.

I find myself wondering a bit about the location issue.
Is it in a bad spot for the chickens?? No shade options? Or is it to close to the house? To far from the house?

I am wondering because if moving it is to daunting then perhaps it would still work where it is.

All of the above, well except for too far. LOL Whoever put the building there, chose the worst spot possible. It's very close to the house, it's at a slant(like this \ ) and basically in the middle of the backyard. So there really isn't any shade where it is, and considering where I live, I think they will need it. Which is hilarious, because it's 3 acres, and they decided, that was a good spot. LOL

Back
Top Bottom