Our SS Hamburgs are flying!

bjcoop

Songster
12 Years
Mar 22, 2007
Western New York
We are worried about our little silver spangled hamburgs. They free-range during the day with all of the other chick/hens we ordered this spring.

D.gif
They are about 3 months old now. The hamburgs are so fun to watch, but now are really determined to roost high at night. We'd like them to roost in the coop as we have owls and fox around and it would be safer for them. And, what about winter? We live in upstate NY.

Because I want them to be in the coop, I have to chase them out of trees, off the barn roof, hiding in ladders outside, etc.

Not sure what to try.
hu.gif
DH says the hamburgs may be more trouble than they're worth! They have food, water, and lots of space to roost in the coop. Maybe the roosts are not high enough? Don't want to sell my hamburgs.

bj

I have two SS Hamburgs, One Hen and One Roo. Since day one The hen has refused to Roost in The coop. She started out roosting in the trees, which I had to catch her and place her back in the coop each night. Eventually I just gave up. Now she roosts in the top of my barn. She has been doing this for over a year, and has never had any problems, she even did this all last winter, and I live in Upstate NY as well. Now just a few months ago, my Mille Fluer D'Uccle Hen has started Joining her. so Now I have two hens that roost in the barn.
roll.png

I have an SS Hamburg that's going to be 5 months on the 13th, and I've never had a problem with her going in the coop. However, she roosts the highest out of all my other chickens - on top of the nesting boxes which is as high as she can get in there. I guess it's just in their blood to be high up.

Must be their individual temperments. Critter Crazy, how old are your hamburgs? 1 have 4 hens and they are the funniest. They like to stir everybody else up, they will jump on anyone bigger and will even hang off the bird netting--higher than anyone else. All four will do this and create a hammock out of the netting. hmmm

Maybe I'll just let them roost wherever they want. Don't really want to clip their wings as there is a chicken-eating dog next door and fox.
I spend almost an hour out there playing hide and seek with them.
yippiechickie.gif
They are winning....

Our coop is warm in the winter, and on the coldest nights we heat it. If it gets cold enough maybe then they will decide to come in. Just got to convince DH they will be okay.

bj

Back
Top Bottom