Our Very 1st Egg!!!

How Eggciting! This is a new step for your family and these girls! For going-in-the-coop issue, I fixed my pullets in two nights by putting a battery powered candle on a timer in the doorway of their coop. They just went inside for the light and no questions where asked! After a week and a half I snuck the light away and all is well!
(I recommend putting the tea light on a timer in a mason jar)

Last edited:
Thank you 😊 we have been putting them into the coop every night at the same time so we will continue to routine until they decide to take over the responsibility. In the meantime, we'll enjoy the nighttime ritual with them. They do grow too fast!
You might try leaving them in the coop for a day. Plenty of food and water. Then they might decide that the coop is home

One other thing is to put them in before it is totally dark. Chickens can't seen the dark so that might be why they don't go in. Darkness creeps up on them and they can't find their way in.
Put them on the roosts in the same place every time. Chickens do good with routine.

When you first put them in the coop did you leave them closed up in there for a few days? If not, that could be why they’re not going in at night. Try locking them up now for a few days then they will roost in the coop and learn that where they go.

Super EGG-CITED to share one of our girls, "Blue" laid her very first egg today! It's small but has a very healthy shell.

Our girls are free to roam our enclosed backyard and have a coop to sleep in but for some reason, we have to put them in their coop every night. They won't just go to it on their own so it was very odd that Blue had gone inside and was sitting in one of the nesting boxes on her own in the middle of the afternoon. We kept an eye on her until she just decided she was going to exit the coop and went to eat. We assumed maybe she was practicing because it was pretty obvious she was nesting by her scratching and "cooing" behavior. ANYWHOOOOO, my son decided to take a look a few minutes later and sure enough - AN EGG!!! Yay!

We've raised our 5 girls (barred rock) from day old chicks. They are our babies (who knew chickens are like cats that lay eggs?!) So this moment was really something to celebrate for our family. Thank you for celebrating with us 😉🥰

On a side note - why aren't my girls going to the coop at night without us carrying them? It's clear they know it's safe now.
There’s nothing like eggcitement

Super EGG-CITED to share one of our girls, "Blue" laid her very first egg today! It's small but has a very healthy shell.

Our girls are free to roam our enclosed backyard and have a coop to sleep in but for some reason, we have to put them in their coop every night. They won't just go to it on their own so it was very odd that Blue had gone inside and was sitting in one of the nesting boxes on her own in the middle of the afternoon. We kept an eye on her until she just decided she was going to exit the coop and went to eat. We assumed maybe she was practicing because it was pretty obvious she was nesting by her scratching and "cooing" behavior. ANYWHOOOOO, my son decided to take a look a few minutes later and sure enough - AN EGG!!! Yay!

We've raised our 5 girls (barred rock) from day old chicks. They are our babies (who knew chickens are like cats that lay eggs?!) So this moment was really something to celebrate for our family. Thank you for celebrating with us 😉🥰

On a side note - why aren't my girls going to the coop at night without us carrying them? It's clear they know it's safe now.
Congrats on the first egg !!! As for going into the coop I will tell you what I learned on this site and it worked like a charm . Turn on a light in the coop . They will walk right in on their own when it gets darker outside . Good luck 👍🏼

Back
Top Bottom