Outdoor aviary?

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
My inner child has been nagging me to build an aviary. Im very close to pulling the trigger on building a nice sized one (im thinking 20x50). If I do I am going to plan to build it so that it can be walled/insulated during cold weather. Im having one heck of a time deciding what species I should be considering. Any suggestions?

I have an outdoor aviary. Main area is 18x37 covered with 1” netting and houses Coturnix, ringneck, and 1 duck. I have a 10x12 pergola style aviary in the center that houses my budgies and Guinea pigs. Inside aviary is half enclosed but not insulated with heater to keep it around 50 during winter.

61FC13D1-4631-451C-B671-F4BFF6D37D9D.jpeg
253DBFDE-FF69-44E9-BF9B-5E0AB4CF7652.jpeg
D25B26C9-F6C9-4D54-993A-83F95E0BE12C.jpeg

I was considering budgies since they seem to be agreed upon as being a good choice for an outdoor aviary but man is it hard to find ideas to go with them. I wasnt expecting the guinea pigs do they serve a purpose other than being interesting? I was thinking of maybe adding a couple of tortoises to help with clean up since that seems to be common at zoos.

I have an outdoor aviary. Main area is 18x37 covered with 1” netting and houses Coturnix, ringneck, and 1 duck. I have a 10x12 pergola style aviary in the center that houses my budgies and Guinea pigs. Inside aviary is half enclosed but not insulated with heater to keep it around 50 during winter.
When you say ringneck do you mean dove or the parakeet?

I was considering budgies since they seem to be agreed upon as being a good choice for an outdoor aviary but man is it hard to find ideas to go with them. I wasnt expecting the guinea pigs do they serve a purpose other than being interesting? I was thinking of maybe adding a couple of tortoises to help with clean up since that seems to be common at zoos.
The Guinea pigs are just pets that got evicted from inside 😂 and yes it is very difficult to find suitable roommates for budgies. They have killed button quail, doves, and finches :th

Cockatiels are lovely birds to keep in an aviary. They are a gentle breed and we have ours with society finches, ringneck doves and bourkes parakeets as well as quail.

Cockatiels are lovely birds to keep in an aviary. They are a gentle breed and we have ours with society finches, ringneck doves and bourkes parakeets as well as quail.
I would love to have cockatiels but they’ve gotten quite pricey here….around $300 each pet store quality not sexed 🥺

Back
Top Bottom