outdoor feeder/waterers in -20 degrees

ringaring

Songster
11 Years
Jan 14, 2013
Norfolk, NY
I want to move food & water out of the coop. Last year I would find ice on top of the heated buckets, even in coops some mornings. I'm loathe to use insulation since the chickens always seem to find some crevice to access it & eat it on my hose house. I have a mixed flock: the geese are bullies, keeping others away from food & treats, the ducks are the biggest slobs but the chickens are the most destructive. I'm also unsure whether to provide chicken food, duck pellets or a mix. Any input appreciated. TIA

Purina flock raiser or other flock raiser might help your food situation. I water outside in the winter, but we don't get very cold here often. Our windmill keeps a hole in the pond and I break the ice each morning on the kiddy pool. Unfortunately at 20 below I don't think that will work for you. I have found on here something about a large hole and fresh manure keeping water from freezing.

Thanks. On occasion, the pools have frozen solid - that's when I know it's time to put the pools away. I will look into the manure option, maybe for under the pools to extend the season.

I keep the water outside. We usually have somewhat mild winters here. A few below zero nights here and there. Last winter we had a two week arctic blast of single digit and below zero weather. In which my heated 3 gallon founts froze. I built a three sided plywood box to keep the wind from getting to them so much. I lined 5 gallon buckets with regular house insulation. Then placed them upside down over the founts. They would get some slush in the drinking trough. But they never froze solid again.

When I had chickens, geese, and ducks I fed All Flock. Makes it easier to feed one food to all. All my food and water is kept outside. Water for the geese and ducks was a low stock tank of about 50 gallons and floating stock tank deicer. I also covered most of the stock tank with plywood to prevent the birds from actually getting into the tank, but allow them to drink and dunk their heads. I also added a couple concrete blocks on one side to let the ducks climb up and get their heads into the tank. For the chickens I use a 14 gallon tote with lid, stock tank deicer that lays on the bottom and is safe for use in plastic with horizontal nipples. The semi clear tote lets me easily see when the water needs filled. NW Montana can get into the -20s F during the winter. Birds have never been without water.

If you will keep feed and water outside in the run, then build a shelter for it.

Since you have so many kinds housed together, I would build TWO shelters in the run to make sure no one is getting bullied off the feed and water.

You need a shelter to block wind and snow, or they will not eat and drink enough.

Even with a shelter for the feed and water. . .. if there isn't enough of a wind break in the run, at -20F the chickens might chose to starve over going out to eat and drink. So... watch them. Check their keel bones on occasion to see if they are staying in condition.

The geese and ducks will be fine.

However, at -20F, actually, starting at 10F, I HIGHLY recommend removing all bathing water. Yes, keep a deep enough water bucket for the waterfowl to dip their heads. However, if they can bathe they will splash the water all over, and coat everything in ice. And that is the best case. Worst case they will freeze their feet to the ice so they can't move, and they can even splash water over their back, that instantly freezes, encasing themselves in ice.

So.... feed "all flock" or whatever local equivalent you have.

And be very careful with what waterers you use.

At -20F most waterers will get some ice, even with a heater. The poultry get good at learning to break through the ice, and geese are pretty strong so will help.

I like using a water de-icer that is safe to run dry, and safe to sit on plastic/rubber.

Back
Top Bottom