Outdoor run sanitation issues

EggProductionUnits

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2017
Hi,
For a while now we've been having sanitation issues with our outdoor enclosed run, especially in the Indiana summer rain. The run has zero plant life (all eaten, but that's to be expected) and is just a dirt slab covered in chicken crap. When it rains, it turns incredibly muddy and our hens run around in it, getting dirty. On top of that, it stinks to high heaven all the time.
So here's my question. Does anyone know of any outdoor bedding materials that aren't sand that can be used to maintain cleanliness and control the smell?
Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to BYC!
There are several options other than sand.

The cleanest option is to purchase a chicken tractor, but not the most practical.

The most common option is to use the "deep litter method" which is just shoveling old shavings from the coop to the run. Seems useless, but it works.

The most maintenance-consuming is the sand you mentioned. It's heavy, and needs to be replaced annually or bi-annually. This option actually allows you to pick up poops, though.

Have you considered putting a roof over your run? It would help with the wetness, but not with the sanitation.

Welcome to BYC!
There are several options other than sand.

The cleanest option is to purchase a chicken tractor, but not the most practical.

The most common option is to use the "deep litter method" which is just shoveling old shavings from the coop to the run. Seems useless, but it works.

The most maintenance-consuming is the sand you mentioned. It's heavy, and needs to be replaced annually or bi-annually. This option actually allows you to pick up poops, though.

Have you considered putting a roof over your run? It would help with the wetness, but not with the sanitation.
Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions. We already use deep litter in the coop and we're due to change out the shavings, so I might try that.
Unfortunately I can't use a chicken tractor because of a) our dog and b) coyotes (they already skulk around enough as it is.)
I'm unwilling to use sand because of articles I've read proving sand's health detriments.
I like your roof idea, and I'll look into it.

We have raised runs (up on pallets) that are roofed over and filled with straw. I replace the straw maybe every 6-8 weeks. I've been very thankful for the raised runs this winter (southern hemisphere) as it's been a very wet one! I also ferment my chickens feed which cuts down on smell, though any poop that gets wet will smell, especially in the heat.

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions. We already use deep litter in the coop and we're due to change out the shavings, so I might try that.
Unfortunately I can't use a chicken tractor because of a) our dog and b) coyotes (they already skulk around enough as it is.)
I'm unwilling to use sand because of articles I've read proving sand's health detriments.
I like your roof idea, and I'll look into it.

If it still stinks, I would suggest either changing shavings more often, or digging out the old for a fresh start. A good ol' tractor bucket would have it clean in no time.

I'd go with Deep Litter in the run. In our run we have a deep "carpet" of hay, straw, grass clippings, leaves, landscape debris, excess veggies from the garden, pine needles, anything available around the property. No mud, odor or flies.

Back
Top Bottom