Outdoor Time but Avian Flu

Bicoastal

Songster
Dec 14, 2020
Central VA
I have keets hatched 4/12. You can check out my thread here. I need to kick them out this weekend. I see recommendations here to take them outside for an hour, then two, etc to acclimate them before fully moving them outside. It makes great sense!

Given avian flu this year, is that recommendation null and void? I’m in VA. I don’t believe we have any reported cases but it’s been reported in neighboring states.

I would love any advice about transitioning them this week and moving them out next week.

They have a lamp and a plate. Temp under lamp is 80. They are in a spare room in the house. Attaching pic of the monthly forecast.

Attachments

• 2886F460-D3FE-4CBD-BFE3-F8EA0B028CAB.jpeg
    2886F460-D3FE-4CBD-BFE3-F8EA0B028CAB.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 7
I see recommendations here to take them outside for an hour, then two, etc to acclimate them before fully moving them outside. It makes great sense!

Given avian flu this year, is that recommendation null and void?
As regards disease risk, I don't think it matters much whether you move them out all at once or take them out for short trips first.

I would put them outside in the place they will be living (coop and run), rather than letting them play on the lawn or forage under a bird feeder.

I have keets hatched 4/12. You can check out my thread here. I need to kick them out this weekend. I see recommendations here to take them outside for an hour, then two, etc to acclimate them before fully moving them outside. It makes great sense!

Given avian flu this year, is that recommendation null and void? I’m in VA. I don’t believe we have any reported cases but it’s been reported in neighboring states.

I would love any advice about transitioning them this week and moving them out next week.

They have a lamp and a plate. Temp under lamp is 80. They are in a spare room in the house. Attaching pic of the monthly forecast.
following... where in central va are you located?

been wondering about this too from the northeast. I opted to get my chicks outside full days, in a playpen on shavings instead of open to the grass, with some shade fabric and tulle on top so they have some sun, some shade and airflow, and hopefully minimizing potential wild bird droppings from falling on or around them. hoping the same about it burning out in hot weather!

Attachments

• 5D74CB99-BADD-4B69-8E47-A19436E971FB.jpeg
    5D74CB99-BADD-4B69-8E47-A19436E971FB.jpeg
    692.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom