Outlaw Chicken Owners - How many are out there - Promise I won't tell.

Out of city limits but our deed says no livestock. The next door neighbors had cattle and everyone on the street seems to have had horses if not now they have at some point in time.

Of course, there's only one neighbor that might complain and he has had parts of his house rotting and two beds and a couch in his yard for the past 4 months. not to mention he knows if he brings anything up we will sue him for backing into our fence on multiple occasions.

cool.png
All my neighbors LOVE fresh eggs. One even buys bags of layer feed in trade for eggs! I think when I process this year I'll take them a bird too since they love to cook.

Not real sure of the rules for my county....but I do know that the property where my house is has a deed restriction and I am not aloud to have any "livestock". I am lucky enough to have a neighbor, who takes it upon himself to make sure those rules are not broken. He has taken us to court for having my daughters horse here to bathe! However, the piece of property that attaches to me, that belonged to like 12 different heirs, and was grown up with weeds, has no restrictions! Sooo... I was given 7 shares, bought the rest for taxes and now I have...I dont know how many chickens( lost count) and make sure to have the horse there periodically. lol

We want to move to a new community that has chickens on the books as "nuisance". City zoning guy seems to be earthy, into the movement of knowing where your food comes from, etc. Last we heard, they didnt know how to give a variance as the law is written.
so we are waiting...

We are. They county/city allows NO farm animals, so even rabbits aren't allowed. You can apply for an exemption, but the application fee alone is $4,000-6,00! There is a big effort to change that, though. We are in a rural/residential area and lots of folks have chicks.

We are against our town ordinance here. It's ridiculous and also groups chickens as livestock. I could, according to town ordinance, keep two hens on my 1 acre piece of property if I get a permit (which they don't even have in the town office because it doesn't exist) and have to get the approval of my neighbors. Yeah, right!

My neighbors know they are here and have no problem. I got the "town board" to address the issue (I wasn't present) and they didn't want to budge. One of those members is my husband's cousin whose yard borders ours. Our children play together all the time and they know about the chickens. The Town Clerk who informed me I couldn't have chickens is my daughter's best friend's Grandma so I think she probably knows. I figure I should be in the clear. No one has reason to complain so we have to keep our fingers crossed.

our city law only lets us have 6 pets... but only two species... that said, i have a dog, and 30+ chickens...

HAHAHakjf;lskajf;ksajfasd...

but i have awesome neighbors... even my neighbor to the right has chickens/quails, and next to him (my BFF) has more roosters than i do... his neighbor is cool with it as well... we have no one behind us, or across the street... so i think i'm aight...

Lots of outlaws hidden in my back yard. Regretfully, no roosters. I would love to have the ability to breed the birds, but that would require moving to a new location outside the city limits.

uh oh...got the letter from the zoning officer this past weekend. "You are keeping chickens and must remediate this situation immedaitely"......I called on Monday to find out the Town is about to change the ordinances in the next month or so to allow chickens with some restrictions. No roosters would be my guess and a limited number of hens. Saves me some work from going before the council.
big_smile.png
I don't think the zoning office is going to push it as there was no complaint...just a mention that I had chickens. So I'm waiting for the new rules but as I have no roos and only 11 hens I won't worry about it anyways. I will get them the permit for the shed that keeps the chickens and leave it at that.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom