Outside in Maine...BRRR!

Chickchix

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 7, 2008
We put our girls out in the coop today, but since it's Maine and winter won't let go, they're out there with lots of shavings, half of their brooder box, and a 250w red heat light. I left the pop hole open today (overcast, windy, yucky) and the temp inside was a toasty 75-80 degrees which is what they liked when they were inside.
woot.gif
So, cross your fingers! I love those chicks, but the poop everywhere was just too much, and I didn't have the heart to not let them out to run around my dining room several times a day!
hmm.png
The girls will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. This chicken stuff is fun!!
big_smile.png
Thanks everyone for your GREAT advice!!!
hugs.gif

Good luck with them, I'm sure they'll be okay. I know what you mean about keeping them indoors. We have 8 Delawares inside right now and they just love making a mess everywhere. The other day they got out, jumped on a table and devoured our seedlings. Oh well.

We're currently in Northern California but are moving out to Maine later this year. It's been well above 60 degrees here for a few weeks, so now I know what to look forward to in Maine. Quite a change!

Whereabouts in Maine are you?
We are planning on coming up to Scarborough to open up the cottage later this month, so I'm hoping Spring starts to show up there soon!!!
fl.gif

By the way, I remember what my guest room looked like when I was housing my chicks in there last winter...my heart goes out to ya! Sounds like your little chooks are cozy in their coop!
jumpy.gif

You know, the funny thing is, I'm not a super-neat person. And now that they're outside, I miss them!
sad.png
Is that weird?
Anyway, I'm just south of Portland. And spring is mostly here finally...maybe I shouldn't've said that?....I think I see snowflakes.

I know ho you feel it gets cold in Vermont to and doesn't warm up untill late April. It has actually been snowing here off and on all day. It sounds like your chicks will be preaty happy if it stays that warm though.

Okay, can this be right? Chicks seem to be okay out in the sun when temps are in the mid- to upper-40's. Not puffed up or anything. Inside coop temps are around 70 (heat lamp and space heater in there). Chicks seem fine. They're 4 weeks old. So they know best or am I risking their health?
idunno.gif

As long as they can warm up back inside the coop, they will be fine. In fact, being able to go in and out, mimics how it would be if they were with a mama hen. I think it actually makes them more resilient.

Since you are in such a cold climate, you may want to use a backup bulb until they are fully feathered. Other than that, it sounds like they have the best of both worlds!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom