Outside time?

noelleaiello

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2017
First timer...I have 5 chicks and they are 5 weeks old. Forecast says low of 45 tonight. They've been outside during the day most of this week. My husband says "chickens belong outside" but I don't want them to be cold.

Thanks... I put cardboard on the outside of the back of the coop and there is sand and pine shavings on the bottom. So it's definitely dry and well sheltered.

You're forgetting they are wearing warm feathered jackets. They won't get cold unless you forget to feed them. (Fat chance of that.) Let them move out where they'll be much happier.

Ok. Do I just leave the feeder with lots of food or do I feed them "meals" I don't have any chicken owning friends to ask. Lol.

Took the big chicks outside for the first time yesterday. My daughter did the chicken-whisperer bit to try to coax them out of the bucket. Nope. Ultimately, we just had to evict them - they are surprisingly resistant to any form of "change." They are a big bunch of scaredy-chickens. We are pretty certain we have one roo in this batch, and he did a good job managing his ladies. They had about 2 hours outdoors before we put them back in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom