Outside time?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by noelleaiello, Apr 9, 2017.

1. noelleaiello

noelleaiello Just Hatched

Apr 1, 2017
    First timer...I have 5 chicks and they are 5 weeks old. Forecast says low of 45 tonight. They've been outside during the day most of this week. My husband says "chickens belong outside" but I don't want them to be cold.

2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    They'll be fine at that age and temperature as long as they are dry and out of the wind.

3. noelleaiello

Apr 1, 2017
    Thanks... I put cardboard on the outside of the back of the coop and there is sand and pine shavings on the bottom. So it's definitely dry and well sheltered.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You're forgetting they are wearing warm feathered jackets. They won't get cold unless you forget to feed them. (Fat chance of that.) Let them move out where they'll be much happier.

5. noelleaiello

Apr 1, 2017
    Ok. Do I just leave the feeder with lots of food or do I feed them "meals" I don't have any chicken owning friends to ask. Lol.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Chickens should have the proper feed available at all times that they are awake......water too of course.

7. MigraineMan

MigraineMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Frederick, Maryland
    Took the big chicks outside for the first time yesterday. My daughter did the chicken-whisperer bit to try to coax them out of the bucket. Nope. Ultimately, we just had to evict them - they are surprisingly resistant to any form of "change." They are a big bunch of scaredy-chickens. We are pretty certain we have one roo in this batch, and he did a good job managing his ladies. They had about 2 hours outdoors before we put them back in the brooder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by