Over population of Muscovy ducks

Whenever I was at the University of Alabama I would sometimes go to this fast food restaurant nearby the football stadium called Cookout. There was a small stream nearby and it was unbelievable how many wild muscovies called that area their home. The closest houses nearby were student apartments and run down projects like areas. I’m sure that some random people just dumped them out a long time ago, and only wanted them originally to have cute ducklings. Sitting in the drive thru you can see multiple generations and ages of muscovies. Some will be laying in eggs nearby, others will have ducklings ranging from 2 to 8 weeks old. It’s crazy and I feel bad for them. There is so much traffic I feel like some have to be run over sometimes. I wish some people would be more responsible. Like if you’re not 100% serious about raising and keeping ducks then don’t do it.
Yes it is sad. We have a problem with rabbits here... or we did until a nasty virus took out something like 90% of their population. Yes, it is bad. But when someone who inadvertently contributed to the situation is trying to fix it, shaming them isn’t the point. People make mistakes.

Feral pigs? Burmese pythons? Pack rats? Norwegian brown rats? Bunnies? Asian carp? Cane toads? Barred Olws? The pacific northwestern crow? Africanized bees? Red eared slider turtles (overrunning a local pond). I won’t even touch the Australian non-native invasive and destructive wildlife issues (domestic cats... maybe we should euthanize them all?). Also, let’s not talk about invasive and detrimental plant life. Stuff happens. A lot.

Any control measures need to be selective, or very selectively employed. It’s not the duck’s fault, and they don’t deserve to be inexpertly poisoned by a (I assume they aren’t a professional exterminator) random person.

Back
Top Bottom