Overgrown Nails!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkieBantams, Oct 13, 2011.

1. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    My new girls have overgrown nails and I'd like to ask what is a good way to trim their nails short? Any advise on trimming the nails of my new sweet girls?

[​IMG]

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Unless your chickens are super chill, a partner in crime to hold the chickens would be helpful. One holds, one trims with dog toenail clippers or something. Can you see the quick on the light colored nails? Don't cut past that. But try and trim off as much as possible. If nails are dark, er on the side of caution and don't trim much of the nail.

Keep doing regular trims every few weeks. The quick will start to recede, and eventually, they'll have normal sized nails.

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I am so glad that you got these girls. They obviously needed you to rescue them.

4. SilkieBantams

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Yeah I'm very glad I've rescued them as I got them off from craigslist and the light brown hen is also debeaked poor girl...

5. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

why would someone debeak a bird?

6. SilkieBantams

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I have no clue as to why someone would debeak a bird. I'm glad I rescued Rosae and her sister Snow.

7. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    ─Žal Luqa, Malta
    I second that, just like on dog.... Since her nails are light colour, you should easily see the quick (where the blood is). You can hold the feet against the light to see it even better. It's really not difficult at all, just have to be careful to hold her firmly enough not to twist and turn or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by