The Angry Hen

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Dec 17, 2016
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

I have a rooster that I recently put four hens in with. He hasn't tried mating one yet (not that I know of).
He pecks their head every so often but walks away...
I know he likes them, because they'll clean his feathers and he's okay with that.

My roosters always grow and lose part of their beak (that's normal.)
I never realized: could that stop the mating process 'til it falls off?

I am hoping for baby chicks soon, but I'm not sure If my Dad wants them yet.
Either way, the hens have been with him for a week now but their not laying... For a new coop, is that normal?

Thanks!
-The Angry Hen

You could easily teach them to chase off the foxes,and just taking trips in woods scare foxes off,over time of course.

We had fox problems but then our dogs run out in woods and the more the scent spreads around the more they become threatend. And the dogs have actually ran into foxes,and have chased foxes and saved a few of our chickens lives.

I have never had a rooster lose part of his beak. I guess I don't understand what you are seeing, so maybe a picture?

They should wear the beak down. My older roosters beak grows like that so we catch and trim it every few months with a dog nail trimmer and a nail file to form it back to a point after.

They can't eat well with the beak being overgrown like that. I would trim it as opposed to waiting for it to fall off, as that doesn't often happen.

Well, it has in my coop. He is extremely shy!!! I am trying to make friends with him not enemies. He eats left over pasta and is fine.

Back
Top Bottom