Overweight roo!

Yeah I just got them not long ago. I’m free ranging them right now but only feed them twice a day and it’s a limited amount.

Okay, I cannot think of anything to reduce their current weight except what you are doing already, limiting feed and plenty of exercise. Personally, I would not keep them as pets because they've been bred for meat, and you may run into other issues as they get older. Cornish cross grow so quickly that their muscles often outgrow their internal organs, causing them to die young. Yours seem to be doing pretty well, considering that they're already a year old, so good luck!

The Cornish Cross are indeed very sweet birds. They don’t tend to live long, though. They’re hybrids intended to grow out for the freezer. Typically they would be butchered at around 8 wks. They’re fat because they were bred to be fat, quick. You’re fighting a losing battle if you’re hoping to get them trimmed down.

If you want to keep them as pets you’ll have to severely limit their food. Offer food in the evening for around 15 minutes. I would go with an all flock variety of food. I don’t mean to discourage you, but you should be aware that with them a year old, and as fat as you describe them, they aren’t likely to live very much longer. They just aren’t bred for longevity.

You may be able to breed the female (with a different rooster) if she’s laying eggs, but the CX male will be too heavy and clumsy to mount the hen in order to breed.

I’m not trying to tell you they won’t make good pets. As you said, they’re super nice birds. Just understand, these aren’t going to be around for very long, whatever you do. You can give them a good life for however long they have left, and that’s worth a lot.

The Cornish Cross are indeed very sweet birds. They don’t tend to live long, though. They’re hybrids intended to grow out for the freezer. Typically they would be butchered at around 8 wks. They’re fat because they were bred to be fat, quick. You’re fighting a losing battle if you’re hoping to get them trimmed down.

If you want to keep them as pets you’ll have to severely limit their food. Offer food in the evening for around 15 minutes. I would go with an all flock variety of food. I don’t mean to discourage you, but you should be aware that with them a year old, and as fat as you describe them, they aren’t likely to live very much longer. They just aren’t bred for longevity.

You may be able to breed the female (with a different rooster) if she’s laying eggs, but the CX male will be too heavy and clumsy to mount the hen in order to breed.

I’m not trying to tell you they won’t make good pets. As you said, they’re super nice birds. Just understand, these aren’t going to be around for very long, whatever you do. You can give them a good life for however long they have left, and that’s worth a lot.
Yeah, they’re very sweet birds. I hope they have a good amount of time left, but sadly like you said the breed they are makes it harder. I’m planning to let them live out whatever life they have left, while trying to make sure it’s a great life.

I have raised these birds, and I don't think they are a year old. They look younger to me.

But I have also butchered these birds, and they are NOT FAT, they are a lot of muscle, that is why people like to raise them, they out produce all other birds for meat.

So if you starve them down, you will be breaking down their muscle, not necessarily getting rid of fat. They will never be trim, sleek and fast moving birds.

Sometimes the nicest people get involved with chickens, and sometimes I think they are too nice for chickens. I know you want to provide a good life for them, but you really cannot change their genetics, or their lifespan by feeding them differently. And making and keeping them hungry even with the best of intentions, is just that.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom