Overwhelmed. I need help.

You need to slice into the strange nest artifact. If it's full of cheesy substance, it's lash material, signifying infection. It it's thin and papery, it's a collapsed egg membrane, and it would signify a calcium deficiency or other reproductive issues.

You need to slice into the strange nest artifact. If it's full of cheesy substance, it's lash material, signifying infection. It it's thin and papery, it's a collapsed egg membrane, and it would signify a calcium deficiency or other reproductive issues.
The inside contained white with no yolk. I found another this morning under the roosting pole.

Collapsed shelless egg. The hen needs extra calcium to make her eggs have a strong shell. Unless her condition is treated, she will run the risk of getting an egg stuck and it could end up killing her or triggering a chronic reproductive infection.

Get some of this.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
Pry open the beak and give one whole tablet directly into her beak every day until her eggs are coming out with a strong shell. After they are back to normal, she can then go back to supplementing her calcium needs with oyster shell and/or layer feed.

With fungal meds, it's not really necessary as with antibiotics and wormers. There's not the same concern about causing resistance to the meds.

I have 5 hens that I just adore, they are my babies! I think all of them have vent gleet. They all have feces sticking to their butt feathers with some white discharge at the base of the vent. I also have a big brahma that has scaly leg mites, it is pretty severe. I wonder if I should be doing a big treatment for all of them or if I should be spot treating one at a time. I have been putting probiotics in their feed and ACV in the water. I want to do everything I can for my girls.
For vent gleet : Get some human probiotics at your local health store. The powder capsules. Open the capsules and give each hen 1/6 to 1/5 of the capsule per day. I usually dampen a small piece of bread and tip roughly 1/6th of a capsule on to it, then fold over the piece of bread to contain the powder and give it to them that way. Usually easier. You could also just break open 1-2 capsules and put on top of the feed, but personally I like to give it to them individually on the bread to make sure each of them get it. You could put each one down in a bucket of salt water to wash off their butts. That way you are cleaning them up and doing a little infection prevention at the same time.
Also, make sure not to give them any treats, especially fruit, as this worsens it. Cut out any extras and keep them on their layers' pellets.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom