Oxytetracycline safety for egg laying hens

KatieChic

Hatching
Jul 14, 2015
I had to give oxytetracycline to my flock for a suspected respiratory disease. I noticed after I administered the first dose in their drinking water that the package says (I am using oxytet.) NOT to use oxytetracycline for hens laying eggs for human consumption. Has anyone else used oxytetracycline for chickens? Is there a known withdrawal period for eggs for chickens given oxytetracycline?

Any advice would be helpful?

Katie

I'm curious about this as well as I'm giving this to my girls for respiratory issues. I found on another thread here 3 weeks. Curious to see what others say as I didn't see an egg withdrawal period on the back of the package.

This is the only published info I have found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24853528

J Food Prot. 2014 Jun;77(6):1017-21. doi: 10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-13-440.
Withdrawal times of oxytetracycline and tylosin in eggs

of laying hens after oral administration.

Muñoz R1, Cornejo J2, Maddaleno A1, Araya-Jordán C1, Iragüen D1, Pizarro N1, San Martín B3.
Author information

Abstract

Antimicrobials administered to laying hens may be distributed into egg white or yolk, indicating the
importance of evaluating withdrawal times (WDTs) of the pharmaceutical formulations. In the present
study, oxytetracycline and tylosin's WDTs were estimated. The concentration and depletion of these
molecules in eggs were linked to their pharmacokinetic and physicochemical properties.
Twenty-seven Leghorn hens were used: 12 treated with oxytetracycline, 12 treated with tylosin,
and 3 remained as an untreated control group. After completion of therapies, eggs were collected
daily and drug concentrations in egg white and yolk were assessed. The yolk was used as the target
tissue to evaluate the WDT; the results were 9 and 3 days for oxytetracycline and tylosin,
respectively. In particular, oxytetracycline has a good oral bioavailability, a moderate apparent
volume of distribution, a molecular weight of 460 g/mol, and is lightly liposoluble. Tylosin, a
hydrosoluble compound, with a molecular weight of 916 g/mol, has a low oral bioavailability and a
low apparent volume of distribution, too. Present results suggest that the WDTs of the studied
antimicrobials are strongly influenced by their oral bioavailability, the distribution, and the molecular
weight and solubility, and that these properties also influence the distribution between the egg yolk
and white.

PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Last edited:
Hi i just pulled my hen from oxytet last night for bumble foot and i gave her acv and garlic in her water and she finely layed me an egg here is the question i have had her for a month and during the the treament until now she hasnt layed any eggs do i still withdraw for three days or 9 days please help i am new to chickens i do have her separated so i dont mix up the eggs

Hi i just pulled my hen from oxytet last night for bumble foot and i gave her acv and garlic in her water and she finely layed me an egg here is the question i have had her for a month and during the the treament until now she hasnt layed any eggs do i still withdraw for three days or 9 days please help i am new to chickens i do have her separated so i dont mix up the eggs
It's up to you... Are you allergic to tetracyline?

Ok will do even if she hasnt layed an egg during treatment i removed the antibotic water and i did give her Acv and garlic slices in her water and the next morning she finely layed an egg

Back
Top Bottom