Oy Vey - nearly 100% hatch rate for shipped eggs!

Quote:
WHat do you mean by brutalized??? like smashed or just didn't hatch?

I think we had 4-5 hatch out of 24 from one time
0 from another time
2 from 24 this time
lol and we just got another package... 24 i believe... hatch date is in a week and a half cross yer fingers!!!
I have a pair of $150 chicks ($75 each) in my living room right now LOL
lau.gif

I have the same thing 2 chicks for $60 not as bad as you though.

Last edited:
I have hatched shipped eggs 3 times. The first time was serama eggs from arkansas to mn. 7 of the 10 eggs hatched.
2nd time was some bantam ee's out of 7 eggs only 3 hatched, 2 turned out to be roosters. 3rd hatch was really bad and out of I think 9 eggs 2 hatched, both pullets but one died at 2 months old for no apparent reason. I think I am done with shipped eggs too. I'd rather spend the extra money and get chicks or started birds.

I've received eggs from GA to CA and 7 out of 12 made it to lock down. Sadly 2 never pipped. (probably my fault as I had to help an injured chick) Of the 3 that didn't make it, 2 were blood rings and 1 either quit early on or never developed. So, I thought that was great for shipped eggs!

I now have eggs from VA and MI sitting in my incubator.
fl.gif
for a great hatch.

And all the boxes were marked fragile. Nancy (bargain) puts "fragile hatching eggs" on the outside of the box.

I usually only get about 0 - 3 to hatch from 12+ shipped eggs. My own are around 90% usually. Any eggs taht you don't want to hatch send em to me - that is a sure way to see that few chicks make it outta those eggies. The seller I have bought from always packaged beautifully - no problems there. I think central Mo is just a bad spot to ship to because we are so rural - it usually takes me an extra day to get eggs........

I received 15 eggs from Maryland. All were packaged well enough so none were cracked, but the PO did a number on 3 of them. I lost another 3 yesterday because of a humidity problem - my fault. The remaining nine eggs seem to still be doing all right. However, from what I've heard about shipping eggs, even if I get one to hatch I'll be happy (though I'd prefer nine
lol.png
).

I have to $26 each FBCM chicks in the brooder right now. $10 for 6 hatching eggs + $42 incubator - 4 hatching eggs gone wrong = expensive fuzzy butts!

Last edited:
0 out of 12 this go around for eggs recently purchased.
and I've shipped a lot of eggs recently and the best feedback I've been given is about 80 percent.
I also have a hatch going that will lockdown this Thursday and all but one of the 8 are full. These came from the state next door to me. That is by far the best I've received.

I don't know if I just have good luck or what but most time I get at least an 87% hatch rate on shipped eggs. I also pick up my eggs at the PO because I live on a very bumpy country road and I want to get the best hatch rate possible.

I have gotten several hatch rates of 100% from Ebayers. I have had a few very poor hatch rates like 3 out of 17 in the last month but I really think that was a PO issue.

On duck eggs I have a 95% hatch rate on shipped eggs.

Laurie

I have a pretty crappy incubator, which could be why I get terrible hatch rate.
It seems we purchase a new incubator every couple of months and they like to SPIKE TEMPERATURES while we are gone! We CANNOT leave anywhere or the temperature spikes (coincidence... EH???).

It seems like a Brinsea 20 does good (the guy who got 100% from my shipped eggs LOL) as well as a Sportsman (38 out of 50)... but I don't think I can afford that LOL Gotta save up!
big_smile.png
Hahahaha, another good hatch was when the eggs got lost in the mail for a week and a half LOL I don't think I can make the PO lose the boxes of eggs HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

I need a new bator. We're building one now
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom