Oyster Shell...mixed in with food or container?

augustmomx2

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Central Indiana
I recently bought my girls some oyster shell and have been putting it in little bowls. Which, inevitably end up turned over. So, how do you feed your flock oyster shells? In their food or in a container? What do you use? TIA!

A plastic container screwed into the coop wall. I keep it 1/2 full and when it gets dirty and needs to be cleaned out I just unscrew it to wash it. I have another container next to it for chicken grit.

I just pour it out on the ground.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that....
hmm.png

I mix both grit and shell into their food. I'll also sprinkle grit on the ground. They seem to get to it when they need it. I had the same problem of upturned bowls when I'd put them separate.

I screwed a can to the wall, it was a large sized tunafish can. it's large enough to hold quite a bit, small enough that they aren't interested in trying to climb onto it to perch.

I'm thinking I'll make a PVC feeder for shell, and a matching one for grit... I've seen some interesting ones here, also someone here uses an old porch type mail-box that seems very good. I think IN THIS POST would suit for grit and oyster shell, I think two like it may be on my to-do list but untill I get to it, my tin can seems to be working ok.

Last edited:
I mix oyster shell with their food. Throw a handful in once or twice a week. I also put some on the tree stump that is in the middle of the pen. It really works.

Back
Top Bottom