Oyster Shell...mixed in with food or container?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by augustmomx2, Sep 5, 2009.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I recently bought my girls some oyster shell and have been putting it in little bowls. Which, inevitably end up turned over. So, how do you feed your flock oyster shells? In their food or in a container? What do you use? TIA!

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    A plastic container screwed into the coop wall. I keep it 1/2 full and when it gets dirty and needs to be cleaned out I just unscrew it to wash it. I have another container next to it for chicken grit.

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I just pour it out on the ground.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that.... [​IMG]

4. GertieBird

GertieBird Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    Triad of NC
    I mix both grit and shell into their food. I'll also sprinkle grit on the ground. They seem to get to it when they need it. I had the same problem of upturned bowls when I'd put them separate.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I screwed a can to the wall, it was a large sized tunafish can. it's large enough to hold quite a bit, small enough that they aren't interested in trying to climb onto it to perch.

I'm thinking I'll make a PVC feeder for shell, and a matching one for grit... I've seen some interesting ones here, also someone here uses an old porch type mail-box that seems very good. I think IN THIS POST would suit for grit and oyster shell, I think two like it may be on my to-do list but untill I get to it, my tin can seems to be working ok.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  6. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I have it in a hanging feeder. They will peck at it every once in a while.

7. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I mix oyster shell with their food. Throw a handful in once or twice a week. I also put some on the tree stump that is in the middle of the pen. It really works.

8. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I also wash, toast then crush my eggs shells. I mix that in food.

9. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I do the same - mix it and grit in with their food. Last time I tried to put a bowl out for them they ended up dustbathing in it.

10. GrannySue

GrannySue Chillin' With My Peeps

I collect oystershell on the beach, take it home and hammer it into small pieces. I hammer on a large brick and the girls know that's where the shell is if/when they want it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by