oyster shell

BK79

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 10, 2013
i got some oyster shells today from feed store 25 kg bag. I put some out in a dish for them we'll see how they eat it or if they like it. Only saw a couple hens picking at it though...rest didn't care for it really. Maybe it's one of those things they will pick at if they are bored in the coop.

I also took some and grinded it up in the blender and add it to their mash mix of wheat bran and ground up corn....they love the mash more than the pellets...

Just want to know if the oyster shell is safe for them to consume, hopefully no bacetrias in it?

gonna add a tablespoon of ground up oyster shell to their mash to make sure they get calcium in good dose

They will eat it as they need it, no need to grind it up. No worries with them getting sick from it, they have been eating it for many of years as people have cared for chickens. Make the egg shells stronger and replenishes the hen calcium levels as here body produces the shell... Also it is safer for a mixed flock of Roos and Hens, by not feeding layer which is supplemented with calcium.

My birds haven't been able to forage outside cause of snow. I haven't given them grit, but have free choice oyster shell for them. I've also been giving them mash(wheat bran, ground up corn) they like the mash more. I give them greens as well.
I should of bought the grit as well you think?

I give it to mine as free choice mixed in with Oshells, their gizzard has to have something hard to grind up any solid chunks of food chopped corn whole corn etc. Since you are feeding mash it may not be needed.. But it cant hurt and a small bag will last forever..

I have some stones like redstone used on pigeons i bought a mix from pet food store nearby. Shop guy says they feed it to pigeons..
same idea he said.
I noticed my chickens picking and nibbling on tiny stones in the yard....now it explains it

I always thought that its best to keep the chickens safe from anything that could obstruct their crop...I don't want them to have something am it up.

Tiny stones and grit are good. Chicken's don't have teeth and those little rocks are how the gizzard "chews" their food. It's tall grasses and other things that can tangle that you really want to avoid.

Chickens will only eat the oyster shell and grit if they need it. You don't need to worry if they aren;t eating very much. Too much calcium is not good so you want to try to let them self regulate as much as possible.

I leave both grit and oyster shell out in a tin for my flock to pick up free choice. The chickens know when they need the supplement. Layer feed has calcium in it but sometimes they need a little more when egg production is in full swing.

Back
Top Bottom