Packing Kids School Lunch (Share yours) Cakester recipe post #25

fasbendera

Songster
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
Midwest
First year packing lunch our school lunches have gotten so unhealthy and at $2.00 a pop plus the $.75 milk I think we can do better with cold lunch.

Sandwich - ham on seven grain bread
Light laughing cow cheese
8 wheat Saltine Crackers
1 whole carrot peeled
1 cup homeade applesauce

Looked at the menu for tomorrow and it is italian dunkers, loaded with fat. Glad we are going cold.

Last edited:
I think I do a pretty good cold lunch also. My son loves his lunches.

1 Mix Up Sandwich (w/ my Black raspberry jelly)
Home Canned Fruit
Hard boiled egg
Chocolate Zucchine "Cakesters"
Home Canned Grape Juice

A mix up is a PB & J. I tried giving him a ham sandwich one time and he yelled at me when he got home. Haven't done that again.
He likes it and I think it's pretty healthy.

Quote:
OK the Chocolate Zucchine Cakesters sound great. We made chocolate pudding and put it individual containers for this week. I wish he liked hard boiled eggs he prefers sunny side up. Thanks.

Last edited:
Our lunches are $2.10 with milk at $.30. Out ragous for our small town.

I pack:

Peanutbutter and DS's choice of homemade jelly, lots of flavs to choose from. I may sent a meat sandwich in there once in a while. Maybe once a month. Just for a change.

He loves the multigrain bread, if I got it, but will eat whatever kind I got

fruit cup or fruit and jello cup

fruit-apple, orange slices, banana, grapes, watermelon, whatever I have

maybe chips or popcorn or animal crackers

And maybe if his's been really good, 2 oreos or other cookies, if I got them

And then....there's a snack that we sent to school. I think they stop that in middle school not sure. Gram crackers, or someother cracker, or popcorn, or fruit

Last edited:
Cheese crackers
Sometimes Doritos. A rare treat
A drink from home, usually kool-aide, but I cut way back on sugar
dried jerkey

Chan is soooooooooo darn picky. I think our lunches are 1.50 a day, milk is 30 or 35. I worked in that cafeteria for 16+ years and we had really good food, make a lot of it from scratch.

I want to try the homemade bread sticks. Chan won't eat dip, but he loves pizza crust, so thought I would doctor it up like that. Sure won't hurt to try.

I've been doing bentos lately. Just for fun. I love being creative and don't have time to paint or draw lately, so I've been making cute little lunches for my 5 yo. They are so much fun!!

Here in Canada--at least where I live there is no such thing as school lunches, so I have many years experience packing lunches.

-cold grilled cheese sandwiches
-chicken ranch salad wraps--home grown chicken, romaine lettuce, ranch dressing wrapped in a flatbread
-caesar salad and cheese toast.
-tuna sanwiches or wraps
-french toast sprinkles with cinnamon and sugar and made into a sandwich.
bagels with cream cheese
home made egg mcmuffins
pizza wraps (sliced pepperoni, mozza cheese, and a dollop of spaghetti sauce in a flatbread wrap.

thermos lunches
-leftover spaghetti
-home made chicken noodle soup, or other soup with crackers.

snack sides
-yogurt (h.m w/ jam)
hard boiled egg or pickled quail eggs.
sliced marble cheese with crackers
always two fruits or fruit and veggie sticks

Drinks are water or home made ice tea.

These are winners in our house--both kids like 'em all

Quote:
My sister inlaw is the head of food service for our whole district. Not much made from scratch I hear. So far so good. I am going to PM for the Chocolate Zucchie recipe so hopefully that will be on this thread also.

I work at the school so I see the lunches, let me tell you processed, loaded with carbs and very unhealthy! So I pack my kids lunches most of the time.
fresh fruit from our yard, blueberries,raspberries,peaches, etc.
fresh veggies from garden
one is a vegetarian, so I have to be creative.
Cheese and crackers or peanut butter sandwiches.
Annie's mac and cheese.

Oooh I am hoping she will post the chocolate zucchini cakesters!
fl.gif
Mine want to buy lunch at school, because that is the only way they can sit with their friends. Kids that take their lunch sit at a different table.
sad.png

When I do make their lunches, it is usually:

PB&J or Roll-ups (tortilla, lettuce, cheese, lunchmeat)
carrot sticks
a piece of fruit
water
yogurt
cheese

Sometimes they will ask for salad or leftover spaghetti, cheese and crackers, or a salad rolled up in a tortilla. tomato and cukes, or something like that.

If they've been really good, I'll surprise them with Cheese Nips or Goldfish.

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom