Packing Kids School Lunch (Share yours) Cakester recipe post #25

Hey that is so not fair. I would have a chat with the school about that. I am really getting owly in my old age.
barnie.gif

Quote:
I know! But, I see their point...it leads to saving seats, hurt feelings, and uses a lot of space. On the other hand, it's like you're being penalized for choosing one over the other. The friends tend to coordinate when they take their lunches so they can sit together. It is still frustrating.

Where is that chocolate zucchini cakester recipe?!?
barnie.gif

Shelly

Quote:
I know! But, I see their point...it leads to saving seats, hurt feelings, and uses a lot of space. On the other hand, it's like you're being penalized for choosing one over the other. The friends tend to coordinate when they take their lunches so they can sit together. It is still frustrating.

Where is that chocolate zucchini cakester recipe?!?
barnie.gif

Shelly

So let the cold lunch kids walk through the same line and then they are with their friends in line so no saving seats. Our school doesn't make them sit apart and my son has 25 kid in his class and there are 100 in his grade at his school. (There are three elementary schools in our town). My point is that it still is not right. Do the white milk kids get to sit with the chocolate milk kids? How about the kids who have special dietary needs are the told you sit at a different table. I really would push this issue. Your child is being left out of a big social time during school. Excluded really because you aren't paying for her to sit with her friends.

Last edited:
Actually, there is a restriction on where people can sit if there are food allergies. There are some kids that can't even be breathed on by kids that have eaten PB&J.

They do have a limited time for lunch. Usually by the time the last of the lunch line is sitting, the "brown baggers" are out the door to recess. I think the lunch is only 20 minutes, including recess. It's better than the last school we were at, though. There it was only 15 minutes, and some kids would only get a few bites.

Shelly

With that much time if they did talk it would be with their mouths full so your daughter is benefiting from her brown bag with more recess. Still waiting for the Zucchie recipe. My mouth is watering and I am looking at a pile of squash. Good thing my chickens like it so much. I slice it in half and they clean it up in a day.

Some really good ideas.

PB and Honey w/ wheat bread
applesause
graham crackers
grape juice
We are working on the veggie thing. Eats plenty at home.
I will try the grilled cheese.
My DH works for Frito-Lay, sooooo chips are in there, but not very often.

Last edited:
Salami Sandwich on Wheat with Horseradish Mustard (my 5 yo likes mustard but not ketchup)
1 garden fresh carrot washed, not peeled, sliced.
1 light string cheese.
1/2 cup applesauce.
1 Andes mint

They announce the school menus for our whole county on the radio every day and I am so glad that I pack his lunch...yesterday was chili dogs and chips...how is a kid supposed to live on that crap?!

this is kinda off topic and i am sorry for that but you know what it really burns my butt to hear that the children are being rushed through their meal and then pushed outside for recess.

what ever happened to teaching the children to slow down and eat their meal?

rushing to eat your meal is not healthy and it creates many many issues with food like:
mt DD for example she will no longer eat at school... i send her with a lunch but cause she is a slow eater she never has time to get a bite or 2 in before the lunch room monitor is breathing down her neck to clean up and get outside

my friends DD became a food hoarder because she was on a lunch program and her tray was taken away she was not finished and went hungry the rest of the day

should we even bring up thetummy troubles being rushed to eat causes. it is a proven fact that if you eat and the environment is a stressed environment your body will not digest the food and most of it will exit th body as undigested waste.

now i have doctors notes and with my job i can be at school at lunch to keep an eye on things but my DD is no longer rushed when she is eating, but I have also learned ways to make it easier for her, i pre cut her sandwiches and wraps so it is bite sized. she is also allowed to eat on the school bus and have a quiet snack like grapes or cheese at her desk.

my DD is 7 yrs old and can still wear a 3X in most of her clothing except for pants cause they are to short ... she is a weeee lil tiny thing...

Quote:
DS is a slow eater too and this being his 1st week of kindergarten I have been taking stock every day. He has only been eating half his lunch each day...I dont know if its because of recess or because he isnt hungry, he SAYS he isnt hungry but I know that kid eats like a horse... I think he just doesnt want to miss any fun outside. I am going with smaller lunches to reduce his waste and if he wants more he can have a snack at daycare after school. We are not a leisurely family, always in a hurry, my parents taught us to always get where we are going 10 min early, so I do rush the kids with eating...but we eat healthy and use portion control and are all healthy so I dont worry much about the pace they consume nutrients at.

Quote:
DS is a slow eater too and this being his 1st week of kindergarten I have been taking stock every day. He has only been eating half his lunch each day...I dont know if its because of recess or because he isnt hungry, he SAYS he isnt hungry but I know that kid eats like a horse... I think he just doesnt want to miss any fun outside. I am going with smaller lunches to reduce his waste and if he wants more he can have a snack at daycare after school. We are not a leisurely family, always in a hurry, my parents taught us to always get where we are going 10 min early, so I do rush the kids with eating...but we eat healthy and use portion control and are all healthy so I dont worry much about the pace they consume nutrients at.

i dont know how your school does their lunches but the brainiacks out here decided to do what they call a "balanced day"
they start school at 840
in a class till 930
then another class till 1030
"nutrution break" @ 1030 - 1050
class from 1050 - 1140
class from 1140 - 140
nutrition break 140 - 200
class 200 - 300
310 dissmissal

bit for the 2 -20 minute nutrition breaks they are allowed to eat for 10 minutes and 10 minutes outside

when i was in school we had recess from 1015 - 1030
lunch from 12 - 1
afternoon recess 2 - 215
330 dismissal

Back
Top Bottom