Packing Kids School Lunch (Share yours) Cakester recipe post #25

I never went to elementary school, was homeschooled, but in high school my day was 7:50-2:40...
Here school starts at 8:25, they get a break at like 10, then lunch/recess is 11:05-12:00, so they have 55 min to do what they need to do...I think that if it takes him more than 25 minutes to eat a sandwich and some carrot sticks then he needs to stop messing around with his two best buddies so much...the 3 of them are really into horseplay and way too much OFF task stuff if ya know what I mean? They are in class together all day so they can cut it out for lunch. Now, making them eat in like, 15 min is not really acceptable, I dont see lunch and recess crammed into a 40 minute break at ALL so I see where you would definitely have an issue with that!!!

Are any of your kids allowed to talk during lunch? Mine is not. DH thinks thats to tough, but I know he would never finish his lunch if he could talk. He gets 30 minutes.

I dont know, I guess I could ask the teacher is they are allowed to talk or not. My first thought would be yes, its a small town and a tight knit community where everyone knows everyone (there are only like 800 ppl in town) so there arent a lot of behavioral issues with the kids for the most part.

Our kids are allowed to talk, just no food trading or loud talk. When I worked there, there was a kid who had such a week stomach one of the kids across the table from him would stick out his food laden tongue, and PUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKEEEEEEEE would be the name of the game. Poor Buddy had to eat in the Library alone till he was a great big kid!!! Our principal was a priss, so watching him carrying those pukey trays with his Eddie Bauer chinos and silk turtlenecks was just the highlight of my day. Hee hee hee. I know, deep down in my heart, when I left to do Real Estate, he missed me like a boil on his butt.
lau.gif

Sometimes my 8 year old comes home staaaaarving. I ask him why he didn't eat, and it's because he was too busy talking and playing.

He gets to buy lunch on Friday. That's his treat. I don't think one crappy lunch a week is going to kill him. Buying lunch just thrills him. He didn't like bagels, until he bought one for lunch.

The rest of the week, he gets a packed lunch.

One sandwich (cold cuts, PB&J, PB&honey, tuna, egg salad),
One juice pouch,
Fruit of the day and/or carrot or celery sticks with a cup of dressing,
One packaged snack (Pringles sticks, Goldfish, chips, etc.),
One Fruit Roll-Up, if I have them.
If I happen to buy cheese sticks, he'll get one of them.

I mix and match what I have in the fridge and the pantry.

Generally, what he doesn't eat he brings back home in his lunch box. He'll eat it for a snack when he gets home.

Sometimes I put in a cup of Jello or pudding. But, he gets picky. He gets into his "I HATE JELLO AND PUDDING" moods.

Our kids had 15 mins. to eat then had to be outside for recess for 15 mins. But by the time the teachers got their students down to the lunchroom, and they waited in line for food and found a table, they would sometimes have just a few minutes to eat before the lunch ladies would make them go outside.
Toward the end of the year, the lunch ladies wouldn't let the kids get a lunch on credit (if their lunch account wasn't paid up) I have a friend who was there one day and the kids would get their lunch, get to the pay station and if their account wasn't paid up, the ladies would take the food and DUMP it in the GARAGE CAN right there and then! Can you imagine little 5 or 6 year olds being faced with that? and no food until they got home! I called the school and the said they can't give the food to the student if the account wasn't paid and they can't give it to anyone else because of health issues. Crazy!

Quote:
And I thought ours was bad!

Our schools don't let the kids go hungry!!!
smack.gif
That is abuse! Some kids, the only real meal they get is at school! OMG!!!

If they are out of money, they get either a peanut butter or lunchmeat sandwich, apple, and milk. Just the bare minimum. I cannot imagine a school doing that to children! You should report that to the local media. I am SO MAD right now!!!
rant.gif
somad.gif
hit.gif

Shelly

Here you go ladies. This started as a pumpkin recipe so I just changed out the pumpkin for zucchini and added cocoa to make it chocolate. Hope you like it.

2 cups finely shredded zucchini
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Cream the butter or margarine with the sugar. Beat in the zucchini, egg and vanilla.
Stir the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon into the pumpkin mixture. Blend until combined.
Drop teaspoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 12 to 14 minutes. Let cookies cool completely then sandwich two cookies together with icing.

Gosh I wish my child could take his lunch to school but nope. Not allowed!!! Unless I take it to him each day he can't have a lunch box at school. I hate it because everyday they have 3 or 4 choices and at least 2 or 3 of them are CHEESE!!! Grrr It is all loaded with fat and carbs and don't even get me started on the sugar they poke into these kids. I had to fight with his teacher last year about giving them gummy bears for rewards in class everyday. They used marshmallows to bribe one kid to do his work at his desk instead of behind the file cabinet. I am seriously considering private school next year. Thanks for letting me rant...back to your conversations
frow.gif

Quote:
Have you tried freezing these? They sound great I can't wait to try them. I added your post # so everyone knows it is there.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom