"packing" peanuts" short ??

ESofVA

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2012
Keller, VA
I assume that means the extra chicks they put in to fill the box, and supposed to be roos??? I have had a few extras with orders from hatcheries the last 2 summers but they were the same breed as what I had ordered and not sexed. What I am wondering though is if their extra roo packing is of the same breed you order? I ordered self blue D'Uccles and white frizzle Cochin bantams. I expect some of the frizzles will be "curlies" (I read somewhere that is what they are called) and will have to let those go.
I have ordered from Ideal this time. I know the local feed store gets at least some of theirs from Ideal (Maybe all). I have ordered from The Poultry Hatchery( A&J Farms Domani Ranch) and from Cackle before. Preferred Cackle, but I could get all of the breeds I wanted at the same time and pay shipping just 1x.

help please???

Yes, packing peanuts are the extra chicks they put in to fill the box. I think that extras can certainly be just extra roos, although the hatchery I ordered from (Hoover's) sent me two or three extra pullets (maybe they were unsexed?) of the breeds I ordered, probably in case some chicks didn't make it.

Does that help?

Last edited:
I found this on Ideal's website, in their order policy:

"If your order consists of a very small number of items (less than the equivalent of a quarter of a box), there may be male chicks placed in the box for warmth or comfort during shipping. The breed of chicks included varies from order to order and unfortunately we are unable to identify the breed. If you do not wish for us to include males in your order, you may choose to purchase insurance for your shipment at a minimal cost."

And from their FAQ:
"You Asked…What does MALES FOR WARMTH mean?

And We Answered:
It means that day old male chicks will be included with your order to provide warmth and comfort for the shipping of your poultry. We include males for warmth on any order that we feel needs the extra mass for shipping. You may purchase insurance if you do not want to have the males included with your order. If you choose this option, you will need to verify the order when it arrives at your post office and if needed, file the appropriate postal insurance form."

So it looks like Ideal does use males, and does not necessarily use the same breed as your other chicks. Hope this helps!

Most of the packing peanuts I've seen on here over the years have been some type or red production bird, or barred rocks, occasionally buff Orps or Aussies. Pretty much always male. I think they just use the more common breeds, what they have the most of.

If they add extra "peanuts', they can be anything from their stock. Usually males of common breeds they have on hand, I understand they do try to stay with the breed you originally if they can but not guaranteed . Hopefully any that they add for you will be a type of bantams.

Do you go up to Parksley for the swaps?

If they add extra "peanuts', they can be anything from their stock. Usually males of common breeds they have on hand, I understand they do try to stay with the breed you originally if they can but not guaranteed . Hopefully any that they add for you will be a type of bantams.

Do you go up to Parksley for the swaps?

Yes, I go to Parksley and that is where I sell the chicks that don't sell on Craigslist. I may have met you there last Sept? I generally keep ordered chicks in the guest bathroom and have only had disease problems when a man that used to sell chicks in Saxis. He got me some Silkie chicks from PA I think and they all died within 3 days from coccidiosis. I had them in the garage by themselves and I at least have never had that in my my chickens again.
I currently have 9 bantam Cochins...yes in the bathroom in a tub!, that I will be taking this spring if they don't sell first (one is a frizzle). Only selling 4-6? that hatched a month ago. Also, a white Silkie hen, a nice calico Silkie roo, and any chicks left over from the SF eggs that are coming, the self blue d'Uccles and the white frizzle bantam Cochin chicks that I just ordered. I will be keeping a few of those , too but will sell my extras.

Last edited:
We did go in Sept., as lookers not buying or swapping. We plan on taking some our LF cochins and likely some EE this March. We'll be in a green F450 Ford pickup dually with birds in cages in the back, please stop by and we can swap notes and chat. We'll look for you also with the bantams.

Back
Top Bottom