Paid For It's Self Today

What model/caliber is your Ruger?

I've killed probably 50 chucks in the last 20 years. Some years they are abundant, and will wipe a garden out.

Last edited:
Nice looking rifle! I had a wood-stocked 10/22 years ago, but sold it. I have a stainless one now, (http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/models.html, bottom model), but am really wanting to try out the take-down (http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html).

I use a .22 magnum for most of my pest elimination. It has a little more range/power over the .22 LR. I've whacked crows and ground hogs at 125 yards, which would be tough with a .22LR.
This is my first gun and I don't really know much about them. The reason I got it was for protecting my girls. I usually go to my brothers house and shoot for practice, because he has five acres in the woods. I also just got a compound bow that I am having fun with. It will do the job too and is much quieter. I have close neighbors and don't want to get caught using the gun too close to a house. We need to be 300 ft away from any residential structures to do any shooting. There is a fine as well as possible jail for doing that around here. In my neighborhood, gunshots are heard all the time, so we don't think much of it. There is a range somewhere nearby I think. I really don't want to push my luck though and get caught.

Hey nice shootin'! Takes a steady hand to sling lead accurately at 250 yards even with a death ray like the 22-250.

Rem 788.... brings back fond memories of plaid flannel, leaky woodstoves, bad stew and cold November wind coming through the floorboards at deer camp.

My first rifle was a 788 in .308 win. Don't know how many rounds I ran through it back when 7.62 NATO surplus was cheap but all that practice made me a good shooter. I wore the darn thing out, got it fixed and wore the same part out again (bolt stop/safety). Had 2-3 inches of freebore eroded in front of the chamber but still held a pretty decent group. Sold it to an F-class shooter a few years ago who was going to make a target rifle on the action.

Accurate gun that was. Made my longest shot ever on a game animal. All the way across a square 40 acre parcel plus some 50 yards or so. About 500 total. Never would have taken the shot but the buck was wounded by another hunting party, I watched him drop once amid the hail of 30-30 rounds, and squeezed when he stopped to size up a ditch crossing. As the report was fading and the buck crumpled I heard a guy from the other party who was trailing it exclaim holy $h**!! Next year 2 guys in the group had traded in their trusty lever guns for scoped bolt actions!

Keep up the good shooting. Putting one round where it needs to go should be every hunters creed.

Last edited:
In my neighborhood, gunshots are heard all the time, so we don't think much of it. There is a range somewhere nearby I think. I really don't want to push my luck though and get caught.

One shot, now and again, isn't likely to draw the ire of neighbors, and even so, by the time the authorities arrived the show would be over. Good shooting! Today, my .17HMR sent one (more) raccoon to predator heaven. This one was a big male. Duke DP held him, and a 17 grain round to the head shut him down. So far this year I'm at 4 coon, one skunk, and no loss of birds.

One shot, now and again, isn't likely to draw the ire of neighbors, and even so, by the time the authorities arrived the show would be over. Good shooting! Today, my .17HMR sent one (more) raccoon to predator heaven. This one was a big male. Duke DP held him, and a 17 grain round to the head shut him down. So far this year I'm at 4 coon, one skunk, and no loss of birds.
How did you dispose of the skunk???????
ep.gif

Sorry I was on the river canoeing as a chaparone.
DS told me that the coyotes are getting bolder since I was gone.
Had 2 of them up just north of the house heading towards where the dead coyote laid. The dead one is now gone
asked him if he took out the .22-250 but he didn't wanted to shoot them with his .243 but they had disappeared by the time he got outside.

HOLY HOWLING!!!!
DS just shot at a coyote in almost the same spot where I got mine!
We were sitting here talking when over the TV we heard them howling right behind the house!!!! We both shot to our feet he headed for his room and grabbed his .243 and hand held spot light I went to the bathroom to open the window to get an idea where they were and it sounded like they had cornered DS's dog, Stubby, in the coulee. The barking and growling it sounded like a dog fight starting. Stubby is a Corgi.
We both went tearing out of the house. I had no shoes on and in my robe.
We spot lighted to the north first saw nothing then ran around to the south and I could see 2 eyes in the light looking back.
DS got in front of me and since he couldn't see through the scope sighted down the barrel and fired!
YES!!!
He hit him good, but not a killing shot. He went out and looked. I saw the coyote go down. He said he found a large pool of blood and a blood trail leading into the trees but he did not want to follow it at night with a pack of coyotes out there even though he still had his gun with him.
I was looking for my shoes when he came back.
Another one bites the dust!!!

Back
Top Bottom