Paint and Roost Question

tsmith1499

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 9, 2011
Mount Airy, MD.
We are getting ready to put our chickens in their new coop and I have 2 questions.

1) When I was painting the walls I did not use a drop cloth. Stupid me. I have linoleum on the floor and was wondering if anyone had any adverse reactions with their chickens from not getting 100% of the paint off the floor. We will be using the deep litter method so I don't feel some paint on the floor should be an issue. Opinions or personal experience??????

2) I am going to build the roosts tomorrow and have seen many opinions for roosts. Since we have Bantams (so far) should I use 2x4's laying flat or 2x3's laying flat. Right now we have 5 Silkies and 2 Cochins. Just want to make sure they will be able to grab the boards should they so choose. Right now in their small cage/coop I have a 4x4 laying on the floor and they are using that but wanted some opinions. I have read that some Silkies won't use the roosts but I want them to have the option. Thanks to everyone on this board whom without your posts, we would have been more lost than we were.
big_smile.png
Tom & Beth Smith

Last edited:
I don't think for a min. there will be any problem from the dab of paint that you couldn't get up. And I also think your chickens will adapt to what ever kind of roost youchoose to put up. We use 2 by 2's but others prefer 2 by fours laying flat. It all seems to come out in the wash (so to speak)
hmm.png

For the roost in our coop we used a 2x4 then cut angles on both sides and put it up and the girls seem to love it and it still covers their feet to keep them warm.

When modern paints are dry, they are pretty much inert. I doubt that there is any danger for your chickens.

My coop is painted. They don't eat the paint off of the coop; so I doubt they would eat it off the floor.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom